Strong To Severe Storms Likely This Afternoon - WRBL

Strong To Severe Storms Likely This Afternoon

Updated:
Dontae Jones Dontae Jones
GREENVILLE, N.C. - A FEW STRONG TO SEVERE STORMS  POSSIBLE THIS AFTERNOON WITH HEAT AND HUMIDITY BEFORE THE FRONT PASSES LATE TONIGHT.

THIS MORNING: As you start your week, prepare for very warm and muggy conditions heading out he door this morning. Temperatures are in the upper 70s inland and lower 80s along the coast. We'll start the day off calm with light southwesterly winds and partly to mostly sunny skies.

THIS AFTERNOON: Today will be deemed a FIRST ALERT WEATHER DAY for not only the heat, but also a threat for severe weather that will come into play for the afternoon and evening hours. A strong frontal boundary will push into the region, sparking the chance for strong to severe thunderstorms out ahead of it. Highs will top out around 90 with heat indices around 100. Storms that fire up with have the potential to have damaging wind gusts and large hail. Best chances look to be along and east of US 17. Everything begins to subside late tonight as the front pushes offshore.

TONIGHT: We're much calmer tonight after the front passes. Cooler and drier air behind the front combined with clear skies will allow for temperatures to cool to the upper 60s inland and mid 70s along the coast. We will watch for some areas of patchy fog.

POST FRONT: Cooler and drier Canadian air spills southward taking out temperatures into the low-mid 80s through the latter portion of the week. This is something First Alert Weather has been forecasting for well over a week now. We'll stay cooler than normal with partly sunny skies. The next weekend looks to turn showery as a new inverted trough axis coming in off the Atlantic proves bothersome. 

TROPICS: A few weak tropical waves are being gobbled up by extremely dry air in central Atlantic in the same fashion as TD #2 met its demise. One wave coming off the west African coastline has a medium chance for development over the next few days. It has a 30 percent chance of development withing the next 48 hours and a 70 percent chance within the next 5 days. We are keeping a close eye on this system as the dry air begins to moisten and the environment becomes a little more favorable for development the next few days.

For more weather details, check out WNCT 9 First Alert Weather's Extended Forecast by CLICKING HERE.

THANK YOU FOR TRUSTING WNCT 9 FIRST ALERT WEATHER!
Whatever the forecast, meteorologists, David Sawyer, Dontae Jones and Patrick Ellis will keep you updated.

For more weather information, check out these links:
- Follow WNCT 9 First Alert Weather on Twitter by CLICKING HERE.

- Connect with WNCT 9 First Alert Weather and join a growing network of friends with WNCT 9 First Alert Weather on Facebook by CLICKING HERE.
- Download our WNCT 9 First Alert Weather app, available for free in the Apple App Store and the Google Play store. You can see First Alert VIPIR 9, forecasts in written, video and graphical forms and the app also will alert you to any severe weather alerts that may be in your area.
SHARE YOUR PHOTOS AND VIDEOS
CLICK HERE TO UPLOAD PHOTO/VIDEO TO
Powered by WorldNow

1350 13th Avenue
Columbus, GA 31901

Telephone: 706.323.3333
Fax: 706.327.6655
Email: news@wrbl.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.