Georgia's 'Bright from the Start' Pre-K program can't meet deman - WRBL

Georgia's 'Bright from the Start' Pre-K program can't meet demands

Posted: Updated:
COLUMBUS, Ga. -

Parents in Harris County braved the weather Monday night, all for their child's education. About 80 parents lined up outside Pine Ridge Elementary school to snag a spot in the district's Pre-K program, since the program's funding can't meet demands.

Georgia's 'Bright from the Start' Pre-K program is paid for by the Georgia Lottery's Fund for Education. Each year it gives about 67% of the state's 4-year-olds a chance to go to school a year early, but leaves 33% on a waiting list.

Harris County is home to several public Pre-K programs, including 3 classrooms at Pine Ridge. School district officials said its the same story every year, parents lining up to ensure their child gets a spot; a problem that is not unfamiliar to the 'Bright from the Start' program.

"We typically have a waiting list of about 7 to 8 thousand children on the waiting list every year who's parents who apply for the program but there wasn't a slot available," said Susan Adams, the assistant commissioner for the Georgia Pre-K program.

She explained that in 2010 Georgia legislature was forced to cut the Pre-K school year by 10 days to accommodate a loss in revenue, putting expansion on the back burner.

"First we want to bring those things, restore than funding, back in the budget, and then we will look at is there funding available to expand the program to serve more kids," explained Adams.

She added that funding is moving in the right direction, giving credit to an increase in lottery revenue as well as efficiencies within the department.

"But the other thing is as the program becomes more popular and as the quality of the program improves more parents are interested in having their children served."

Not every school district in Georgia that offers Pre-K has the same problem as Harris County. Some are able to offer county funded programs to allow more spots. However, both Harris and Muscogee County said they see more children seeking spots than are available. In Muscogee County children are selected using a lottery process, so lining up, is not necessary.

Liz Buckthorpe

Liz joins the WRBL news team from all the way from New England. More>>

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Columbus gets new Walmarts...with a twist

    Columbus gets new Walmarts...with a twist

    Aug 25, 2014 07:03 PM2014-08-28 22:27:56 GMT
    Three new Walmart's are coming to town, and two of them are not your average Supercenter.Construction is about to be underway at the new Walmart Supercenter on Victory Drive at the site of the old Baker High School. Two new proposals, however, will bring the Walmart Neighborhood Market to Columbus.The Market is like a grocery store, without the clothes, hardware, etc. typical to most Walmart's.See the proposals at www.columbusga.org/planning. You can voice your opinion about the new stores be...
    Three new Walmart's are coming to town, and two of them are not your average Supercenter.Construction is about to be underway at the new Walmart Supercenter on Victory Drive at the site of the old Baker High School. Two new proposals, however, will bring the Walmart Neighborhood Market to Columbus.The Market is like a grocery store, without the clothes, hardware, etc. typical to most Walmart's.See the proposals at www.columbusga.org/planning. You can voice your opinion about the new stores be...
  • Bloody details revealed in Columbus murder suspect’s court hearing

    Bloody details revealed in Columbus murder suspect’s court hearing

    Saturday, August 30 2014 12:01 AM EDT2014-08-30 04:01:33 GMT
    Police say the man accused of killing a Columbus woman and her baby was covered with blood when police pulled him over hours after the bodies were found.Brandon Conner had his first court hearing on Friday. Detectives testified on how they connected Conner, 35, to the murders.The remains of Rosella Mitchell and her son Dylan Conner were found in a home on Winifred Lane after a fire last Thursday. Officials say Mitchell was stabbed with a knife multiple times before the fire.Police say several...
    Police say the man accused of killing a Columbus woman and her baby was covered with blood when police pulled him over hours after the bodies were found.Brandon Conner had his first court hearing on Friday. Detectives testified on how they connected Conner, 35, to the murders.The remains of Rosella Mitchell and her son Dylan Conner were found in a home on Winifred Lane after a fire last Thursday. Officials say Mitchell was stabbed with a knife multiple times before the fire.Police say several...
  • Meriwether County man murdered during apparent robbery

    Meriwether County man murdered during apparent robbery

    Monday, August 25 2014 4:41 PM EDT2014-08-25 20:41:56 GMT
    Two individuals believed to be connected with a Meriwether County murder were caught on surveillance camera in Newnan.Two individuals believed to be connected with a Meriwether County murder were caught on surveillance camera in Newnan.
    Local and state investigators release surveillance images of suspects believed to be connected with a Meriwether County murder investigation.
    Local and state investigators release surveillance images of suspects believed to be connected with a Meriwether County murder investigation.
Powered by WorldNow

1350 13th Avenue
Columbus, GA 31901

Telephone: 706.323.3333
Fax: 706.327.6655
Email: news@wrbl.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.