A Lee County judge has denied former Auburn Football player, Mike McNeil's request for a new attorney, just days before his scheduled trial for a 2011 armed robbery.
The 24-year-old former AU safety appeared before Judge Chris Hughes Friday for day two of a status hearing.
During day one of his hearing on Thursday, McNeil's attorney, Ben Hand, told the court he received a letter from McNeil earlier in the week, informing him his services were no longer needed. This prompted hand to file a motion of withdrawal.
McNeil told the court he felt, "uncomfortable," having Hand represent him. After hearing rebuttal from the State, Judge Hughes decided to delay the ruling until Friday morning. He denied hand's request.
McNeil and his family wouldn't comment on the ruling. Hand said he will continue to support his client.
"As long as the judge says I am on the case, I will do everything I can to defend my client," added Hand.
Judge Hughes told McNeil that his trial will begin as scheduled on Monday.
McNeil's defense also made a motion for a change of venue. They said the recent publicity surrounding McNeil's involvement in rule violation allegations against the Auburn football team has made it impossible to find a impartial jury. Judge Hughes said he will rule on that motion next week.