Feds: Bombing suspect was seen using phone - WRBL

Feds: Bombing suspect was seen using phone

Posted: Updated:
BOSTON, Ma. -

Some new details of the Boston Marathon bombing appear in the documents in which federal prosecutors lay out the charge against Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

According to the affidavit, Tsarnaev was seen using a cellphone shortly after placing a knapsack on the ground at one of the explosion sites. The document doesn't say whether he's believed to have used the cellphone as a detonator. But it says one of the explosions took place immediately after he used the phone -- and that while everyone around him appeared concerned by it, he did not.

Tsarnaev was charged in his hospital room Monday with using a weapon of mass destruction to kill - a crime that carries a possible death sentence.

After the first explosion went off about a block down the street and spread fear through the crowd, Tsarnaev - unlike nearly everyone around him - looked calm and quickly walked away, the FBI said. Just 10 seconds or so later, the second blast occurred where he left the knapsack, the FBI said.

The criminal complaint containing the charges shed no light on the motive for the attack.

 

Tsarnaev

was listed in serious but stable condition at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, unable to speak because of a gunshot wound to the throat. His brother, Tamerlan, 26, died last week in a fierce gunbattle with police.

 

 

Powered by WorldNow

1350 13th Avenue
Columbus, GA 31901

Telephone: 706.323.3333
Fax: 706.327.6655
Email: news@wrbl.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.