Raleigh businesswoman sentenced for mail fraud - WRBL

Raleigh businesswoman sentenced for mail fraud

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. -

A businesswoman who ran unsuccessfully for Congress and mayor of Raleigh has been sentenced in federal court to more than six years in prison for mail fraud.
    
Carolyn Grant also must serve three years of supervised probation after her release. She pleaded guilty last year to mail fraud stemming from a real estate investment scam.
    
Defense attorney Woody Webb Sr. says the mail fraud occurred in a 2007 mailing and was related to a real estate project in Raleigh.
    
Grant was the first female chair of the Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce.
    
She was a Democrat when she ran unsuccessfully for Raleigh mayor in 1999. In 2002, after switching to the Republican Party, she lost to Democrat Brad Miller for the U.S. House of Representatives.

  • North Carolina NewsMore>>

  • Man taken into custody after chase, standoff on I-77

    Man taken into custody after chase, standoff on I-77

    Thursday, July 31 2014 7:29 PM EDT2014-07-31 23:29:06 GMT
    The incident happened after a reported chase southbound on I-77 that ended in the Troutman area where a dump truck appears to have wrecked in the wood line near a rest stop.
    The incident happened after a reported chase southbound on I-77 that ended in the Troutman area where a dump truck appears to have wrecked in the wood line near a rest stop.
  • UNC system releases report on campus safety

    UNC system releases report on campus safety

    Thursday, July 31 2014 6:28 PM EDT2014-07-31 22:28:25 GMT
    The UNC Campus Security Initiative issued its final report Thursday, offering a comprehensive review and recommendations for improving safety and security across the 17-campus University of North Carolina.
    The UNC Campus Security Initiative issued its final report Thursday, offering a comprehensive review and recommendations for improving safety and security across the 17-campus University of North Carolina.
  • Samaritan doctor sickened with Ebola lets Charlotte missionary take serum

    Samaritan doctor sickened with Ebola lets Charlotte missionary take serum

    Thursday, July 31 2014 6:08 PM EDT2014-07-31 22:08:32 GMT
    A doctor who contracted Ebola while serving with Samaritan's Purse in Liberia took a "slight turn for the worse" on Wednesday night but is being called heroic by people around him. Dr. Kent Brantly was
    "Yesterday, an experimental serum arrived in the country, but there was only enough for one person. Dr. Brantly asked that it be given to Nancy Writebol," said Franklin Graham, president of Samaritan's Purse.
Powered by WorldNow

1350 13th Avenue
Columbus, GA 31901

Telephone: 706.323.3333
Fax: 706.327.6655
Email: news@wrbl.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.