Tampa mother's worldwide search for daughter comes to an end - WRBL

Tampa mother's worldwide search for daughter comes to an end

Posted: Updated:

A mother's worldwide search for her two daughters has finally come to a very happy end this holiday weekend.

Lilly Martin, who says her husband took their two girls to the Middle East decades ago, is finally back with both of them.

"Patience for me....it's the same {as} love. It's the same {as} faith because love gives you patience," Martin said at Tampa International Airport. "Love gives you the faith. Love gives you the hope."

Martin is Catholic with Colombian heritage. Her ex-husband is from the Middle East, Islamic in faith and wanted their girls, Dalal and Lamia to grow up with his beliefs.

"He bought 3 one-way tickets to Syria," Martin said. "Every time I tried to call to Egypt, Syria, Saudi Arabia … they always hung up on me. Getting communication with the Islamic countries is so difficult."

Eventually Dalal found Lilly on Facebook. She's 25 now. Lamia is 22.

The girls would secretly chat with their mother when they could. Last month, Dalal returned to Tampa, where she plans to stay.

"I'm feeling so good. I'm feeling freedom. I'm so happy because I'm beside my mom," she said Friday morning. "I want to be beside her all my life."

Dalal wants to go to school. She wants to buy a house big enough for the entire family.

The entire family.

Until this week, Lamia was the missing piece. She's pregnant and it took some time to make the arrangements, but early Friday morning, she hugged her mom for the first time in 21 years.

"Finally I found my mom," she said after a long, tearful embrace.

Lamia plans to have the baby girl here in the U.S., alongside her mother.

"To feel her happiness...all of her happiness," she said.

See the emotional story Friday at 11:00 on News Channel 8.

• 8 On Your SideMore>>

Woman says she bought tainted Hostess donettes at Sarasota gas station

Friday, August 1 2014 5:33 PM EDT2014-08-01 21:33:29 GMT
    Everyone loves a good donut. But not the ones Jena Slinkard bought Thursday night at gas station in Sarasota. She just wanted a yummy, powdered donut late at night. So she bought a few packs, but when she bit into her normal favorite, Hostess Donettes, she spit it right out.

Back-to-School Tax-free Holiday is here

Friday, August 1 2014 11:37 AM EDT2014-08-01 15:37:09 GMT
    It's almost time to head back to school and that means it's time to shop.
    It's almost time to head back to school and that means it's time to shop.

Tampa Bay woman feels ripped off, pays $61 for coins worth $1.50

Thursday, July 31 2014 6:10 PM EDT2014-07-31 22:10:55 GMT
    Vickie McInnis responded to a newspaper ad promising a chance to buy old, rarely-seen coins.Vickie McInnis responded to a newspaper ad promising a chance to buy old, rarely-seen coins.
    Vickie McInnis responded to a newspaper ad promising a chance to buy old, rarely-seen coins that have been sitting in a bank vault for years.With shipping, she paid $61.43. But, here's what she received: a bag of about 100 pennies, worth at most: $1.50.
  • NewsMore>>

Body found near Polk search area for missing girl

Friday, August 1 2014 9:53 PM EDT2014-08-02 01:53:38 GMT
    Alexandria Chery, 16, of OrlandoAlexandria Chery, 16, of Orlando
    A decomposed body has been found near the search area for a missing 16-year-old Orange County girl.

Tampa attorney says taking cover a part of life in Israel

Friday, August 1 2014 8:56 PM EDT2014-08-02 00:56:30 GMT
    Today in Tampa, young and old, Christians and Jews gathered in Lykes Gaslight Square Park. About 200 of them showed their solidarity and support for Israel in its latest ongoing bloody battle with Hamas. One bay area man watched some of that battle up close. Tampa attorney Mark Wright watched the war unfold on television. Wright is Jewish-American, has friends in Israel and traveled to the Jewish state several times. He said he felt the need to go, to help....

No love for Lyft in the Tampa Bay area?

Friday, August 1 2014 7:36 PM EDT2014-08-01 23:36:29 GMT
    Kevin Ludig feels like a rock star – he loves his job at Lyft that much.“You know I keep telling people I feel like a rock star because everyone keeps talking about what I do,” joked Kevin in his sleek Mercury MKS Hybrid. “I love this job.”Kevin uses his life at Lyft as a supplement to his work in solar panel sales.
Powered by WorldNow

1350 13th Avenue
Columbus, GA 31901

Telephone: 706.323.3333
Fax: 706.327.6655
Email: news@wrbl.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.