Army Ranger dies in parachute accident - WRBL

Army Ranger dies in parachute accident

Posted: Updated:

SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) - The military is investigating the death of an Army Ranger who was found on the ground with parachute cords wrapped around his neck after a routine training jump in southeast Georgia.

Lt. Col. Brian DeSantis, a spokesman for the Army's elite 75th Ranger Regiment, said Friday that military officials are trying to determine whether the soldier became entangled in the air or perhaps was knocked unconscious when he landed and then got wrapped in the cords.

He says it appears the soldier was dragged 350 feet along the ground as wind filled the parachute.

The death occurred Thursday at a training area on Fort Stewart, where Rangers from nearby Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah practice parachute jumps several times a year. The soldier's name was not immediately released.

  • Continuous News DeskMore>>

  • Teen who drowned in Chattahoochee River laid to rest

    Teen who drowned in Chattahoochee River laid to rest

    Friday, August 1 2014 11:13 PM EDT2014-08-02 03:13:16 GMT
    Justin Thomas, the 14-year-old boy who drowned in the Chattahoochee River last weekend, was laid to rest Friday.
    Justin Thomas, the 14-year-old boy who drowned in the Chattahoochee River last weekend, was laid to rest Friday.
  • PetSmart Recalls Top Fin Plastic Aquarium Heaters

    PetSmart Recalls Top Fin Plastic Aquarium Heaters

    Friday, August 1 2014 10:01 PM EDT2014-08-02 02:01:45 GMT
    PetSmart is recalling about 33,000 Aquarium heaters. The company says the heaters are insufficiently grounded, posing a risk of electrical shock to the consumer. No injuries have been reported.Consumers can get a refund by returning the product to any PetSmart. This recall involves all 50-, 100-, 150-, 200- and 250-watt Top Fin brand plastic aquarium heaters. The heaters are black cylinders about 1 1/2 inches in diame...
    PetSmart is recalling about 33,000 Aquarium heaters. The company says the heaters are insufficiently grounded, posing a risk of electrical shock to the consumer. No injuries have been reported.Consumers can get a refund by returning the product to any PetSmart. This recall involves all 50-, 100-, 150-, 200- and 250-watt Top Fin brand plastic aquarium heaters. The heaters are black cylinders about 1 1/2 inches in diame...
  • Columbus gas station shooter suspect identified, still at-large

    Columbus gas station shooter suspect identified, still at-large

    Aug 01, 2014 10:44 AM2014-08-01 23:53:43 GMT
    Columbus police have identified Chandler Saxton as the shooter.Columbus police have identified Chandler Saxton as the shooter.

    Columbus police identify Chandler Saxton as the man who opened fire and injured one at a gas station Thursday night.

    Columbus police identify Chandler Saxton as the man who opened fire and injured one at a gas station Thursday night.

Powered by WorldNow

1350 13th Avenue
Columbus, GA 31901

Telephone: 706.323.3333
Fax: 706.327.6655
Email: news@wrbl.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.