Carbon monoxide leak at Washington County Detention Center cause - WRBL

Carbon monoxide leak at Washington County Detention Center causes inmates to pass out

Posted: Updated:
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Screams, panic caught on video as shark charges at swimmers near beach

    Screams, panic caught on video as shark charges at swimmers near beach

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 5:48 PM EDT2014-07-30 21:48:04 GMT
    Facebook image from Dan FlynnFacebook image from Dan Flynn
    A Florida beach cleared out – with the exception of a woman and lifeguard who tried to save her – when a shark was spotted heading straight toward swimmers on Tuesday afternoon. The panic of the 10-foot shark and people screaming from the pier was caught on tape.
    A Florida beach cleared out – with the exception of a woman and lifeguard who tried to save her – when a shark was spotted heading straight toward swimmers on Tuesday afternoon. The panic of the 10-foot shark and people screaming from the pier was caught on tape.
  • State officials: Patient at Charlotte hospital did not have Ebola

    State officials: Patient at Charlotte hospital did not have Ebola

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 2:56 PM EDT2014-07-30 18:56:47 GMT
    According to officials, a patient arrived at Carolinas Medical Center Emergency Department on Tuesday evening after visiting a country known for high risk of infectious diseases.
    According to officials, a patient arrived at Carolinas Medical Center Emergency Department on Tuesday evening after visiting a country known for high risk of infectious diseases.
  • July Mugshots - Northeast Tennessee

    July Mugshots - Northeast Tennessee

    Monday, July 28 2014 3:21 PM EDT2014-07-28 19:21:09 GMT
    The following are mugshots of individuals arrested on a variety of charges in July by local authorities in Northeast Tennessee.
    The following are mugshots of individuals arrested on a variety of charges in July by local authorities in Northeast Tennessee.
WASHINGTON COUNTY, TN (WJHL) -

A carbon monoxide leak at the Washington County Detention Center caused several inmates to get sick and pass out.

Sheriff Ed Graybeal tells News Channel 11 that in the middle of Saturday night, several inmates passed out and had nausea and headaches.

In this News Channel 11 exclusive, we're told detention center officials had to evacuate the cells.

EMA Director Nes Levotch said the problem was a faulty water heater, that was bought just last year, was causing carbon monoxide to leak into the cells.

Sheriff Graybeal credits the detention center for their swift action, and says 51 inmates could have died.

Officials thought there were detectors in the jail, but Sheriff Graybeal said they are now working with the commission to get them installed.

Copyright 2013 WJHL. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1350 13th Avenue
Columbus, GA 31901

Telephone: 706.323.3333
Fax: 706.327.6655
Email: news@wrbl.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.