NC officials cancel prison leave news conference - WRBL

NC officials cancel prison leave news conference

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. -

The North Carolina Department of Public Safety has called off a news conference it had scheduled Monday for 3 p.m. Monday on the prisoner home leave program.

Secretary Kieran Shanahan and Commissioner of Adult Correction David Guice had called the news conference at the Archdale Building in downtown Raleigh.

But DPS called off the news conference for "unforeseen scheduling circumstances." Officials would not divulge what the announcement was going to be and said the news conference may be rescheduled for later this week.

The prison leave program has been under scrutiny recently, with some questioning why prisoners are allowed to leave on weekends.

The Associated Press recently reported that North Carolina prosecutors are asking Gov. Pat McCrory's administration to end the program, which allows some minimum-security inmates to make home visits as their release date nears.
    
The Conference of District Attorneys said the state's program puts public safety at risk and denies justice to the families of those wronged by the inmate.

The policy allows some minimum-security inmates with good disciplinary records to make home visits within a year of their release to help ease re-entry into the outside world. The policy has allowed more than 2,000 convicted felons to go home briefly since 2008, according to the district attorneys.
    
The program has been around for decades, but prosecutors said they have recently uncovered how widely it is used.
    
An analysis of a recent weekend compiled by the conservative Civitas Institute for prosecutors found 149 convicted felons were allowed to leave prison facilities. Of those, 36 were convicted of murder and 13 had been sentenced to life in prison.
    
"What shocks the conscience more than the release of these dangerous individuals is the fact that victims and prosecutors are not aware of their presence in the community," said Phil Berger Jr., president of the N.C. Conference of District Attorneys and the son of Senate Leader Phil Berger.
    
McCrory's administration has defended the practice. David Guice, commissioner of the Division of Adult Correction, said it is a common program that serves an important function.
    
"For over three decades, the home leave program has allowed for inmates who are nearing release to re-establish family relationships and community socialization in preparation for their transition back into the community," Guice said in a statement. "Every inmate is carefully screened and selected and undergoes a thorough investigation before admission into the program."

Information from the Associated Press contributed to this story.

  • PoliticsMore>>

  • GOP presidential prospects tout faith in the national anthem

    GOP presidential prospects tout faith in the national anthem

    Sunday, September 14 2014 7:40 PM EDT2014-09-14 23:40:08 GMT
    File PhotoFile Photo
    Two possible Republican presidential candidates are touting the nation's religious heritage as part of a webcast marking the 200th anniversary of the national anthem.
    Two possible Republican presidential candidates are touting the nation's religious heritage as part of a webcast marking the 200th anniversary of the national anthem.
  • Groups aiming to help NC legislative Democrats

    Groups aiming to help NC legislative Democrats

    Sunday, September 14 2014 3:52 PM EDT2014-09-14 19:52:20 GMT
    File PhotoFile Photo
    Groups in the shadow of traditional campaigns are poised to once again attempt to influence N.C. General Assembly races through ads and mailers bought with millions of dollars largely from companies and politically-minded organizations.
    Groups in the shadow of traditional campaigns are poised to once again attempt to influence N.C. General Assembly races through ads and mailers bought with millions of dollars largely from companies and politically-minded organizations.
  • NC courts sort voucher law, students stay in class

    NC courts sort voucher law, students stay in class

    Saturday, September 13 2014 10:12 AM EDT2014-09-13 14:12:58 GMT
    A North Carolina appeals court could rule as early as this week whether nearly $11 million in taxpayer money should pay tuition for hundreds of low-income children to enroll in private schools.
    A North Carolina appeals court could rule as early as this week whether nearly $11 million in taxpayer money should pay tuition for hundreds of low-income children to enroll in private schools.
Powered by WorldNow

1350 13th Avenue
Columbus, GA 31901

Telephone: 706.323.3333
Fax: 706.327.6655
Email: news@wrbl.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.