Presence of dog may have helped save carbon monoxide victims - WRBL

Presence of dog may have helped save people poisoned by carbon monoxide in Bristol, VA

Posted: Updated:
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • June Mugshots - Northeast Tennessee

    June Mugshots - Northeast Tennessee

    Thursday, July 10 2014 5:30 PM EDT2014-07-10 21:30:26 GMT
    Gregory A. DarnellGregory A. Darnell
    The following are mugshots of individuals arrested on a variety of charges in June by local authorities in Northeast Tennessee.
    The following are mugshots of individuals arrested on a variety of charges in June by local authorities in Northeast Tennessee.

  • Kingsport home destroyed in tornado

    Kingsport home destroyed in tornado

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:05 AM EDT2014-07-28 04:05:05 GMT
    Video sent into us by a viewer shows a tornado moving swiftly through the Rock Springs Road area in Kingsport. In the blink of an eye, that tornado left one home in pieces.
    Video sent into us by a viewer shows a tornado moving swiftly through the Rock Springs Road area in Kingsport. In the blink of an eye, that tornado left one home in pieces.
  • Tornado Watch continues, likely tornado in Washington, Sullivan Co.'s

    Tornado Watch continues, likely tornado in Washington, Sullivan Co.'s

    Sunday, July 27 2014 10:44 PM EDT2014-07-28 02:44:10 GMT
    Viewers captured and pictures of what appeared to be a rope tornado touching down in Washington County, TN.Viewers captured and pictures of what appeared to be a rope tornado touching down in Washington County, TN.
    A powerful storm system spawned a tornado and left behind a trail of damaged through in several Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia Counties.The worst of the damage appears to be in the Gray and Rock Springs area of Washington County where viewers captured video and pictures of what appeared to be a tornado.
    A powerful storm system spawned a tornado and left behind a trail of damaged through in several Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia Counties.The worst of the damage appears to be in the Gray and Rock Springs area of Washington County where viewers captured video and pictures of what appeared to be a tornado.
BRISTOL, VA (WJHL) -

Firefighters say five people went to a local hospital after they suffered carbon monoxide poisoning in a Bristol, Virginia home around 2:30 Friday morning. One firefighter even tells News Channel 11 a dog in the house likely alerted people in the home of the problem.

An official with the Bristol, Virginia Fire Department says people in a house on New Hampshire Avenue ran a generator in a crawl space to provide the home with lights. The house is currently without electricity.

The fire department says someone in the house noticed the dog was starting to get sick. That's when someone walked outside of the house to get the dog milk when firefighters say that person passed out in the street, according to the fire department. The fire department official says emergency crews then came to the home and noticed several people who were sick and took five of them to the hospital. They have all since been released from the hospital.

The fire department official says those five people could have died if they were asleep when the generator was causing carbon monoxide levels to rise in the home.

Bristol, Virginia Fire Department officials say they want everyone to know that running a generator in a home is never a good idea and could easily lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Look for more on this story on News Channel 11.

Powered by WorldNow

1350 13th Avenue
Columbus, GA 31901

Telephone: 706.323.3333
Fax: 706.327.6655
Email: news@wrbl.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.