Wake Co. mother shares her personal story of abortion - WRBL

Wake Co. mother shares her personal story of abortion

Posted: Updated:
FUQUAY-VARINA, N.C. -

The topic of abortion is a passionate one for a lot of people.

One mother in Fuquay-Varina called WNCN to share her story about how the choices she made impacted her life.

Nicole Sickles and her high school sweetheart ended up about to have a baby at the age of 18.

"I was panicked, I wanted to keep the baby he didn't want to keep the baby, and I loved him so I had an abortion at 11 weeks," explained Sickles.

It's a moment she says haunts her to this day.

"The machine went inside me and it was like being cut in half by a chainsaw," she recalled.

But Sickles recovered, and moved to California where she landed spots in movies and was a model.

Her life seemed to be turning, around until one night while on a date with a Navy SEAL.

"A gentleman came in, kicked the door open and put a gun to his head,' she recalled, "I was brutally raped and almost murdered, and I was impregnated by this rapist."

Once again Sickles faced a choice.

"I was scared to bring this child into the world because I was afraid that everyone would think that I did something wrong," she said.

Sickles had her second abortion.

"Now I live with pain, I live with guilt, I live with remorse. I murdered my baby. I murdered my child," she said.

Years later, Sickles got married and the couple was expecting a baby boy. She was not expecting to have to make a difficult choice yet again. Her pregnancy went south fast, putting her own life at stake.

"I was going to have this child, I was not going to abort another baby," she said.

Weeks later Adam was born.

"He was born with leukemia and down syndrome," she said. He faced many medical issues, but he was one tough little fighter and now is growing every day, alongside his four brothers and sisters.

Sickles says it's a miracle that all came down to a choice.

"I believe in women's rights, I do, but I would rather have known what God gave me then to have destroyed it," she said. "Adam's taught me more about love and sacrifice and faith and pride and honor than I've ever known in my entire life."

Jonathan Rodriguez

Born in California but growing up in South Carolina, Jonathan Rodriguez joined WNCN in June 2013 as a digital journalist. More>>

• Wake CountyMore>>

More than $100k in penalties issued in NC State Fair accident

Wednesday, April 23 2014 5:26 PM EDT2014-04-23 21:26:10 GMT
    Five people were injured on the Vortex when the ride jolted into motion at the 2013 N.C. State Fair.Five people were injured on the Vortex when the ride jolted into motion at the 2013 N.C. State Fair.
    The Department of Labor issued more than $100k in penalties in connection with an accident at the State Fair in 2013 that injured five people.

Raleigh police release photos of robbers of sweepstakes parlor

Wednesday, April 23 2014 4:08 PM EDT2014-04-23 20:08:46 GMT
    Raleigh police released images of two suspects said to have shot a man at an Internet sweepstakes parlor in Raleigh Wednesday on Crabtree Boulevard.

9th suspect arrested in Wake Forest kidnapping

Wednesday, April 23 2014 1:01 PM EDT2014-04-23 17:01:55 GMT
    Frank Janssen was kidnapped from his Wake Forest home on April 5.Frank Janssen was kidnapped from his Wake Forest home on April 5.
    The ninth suspect named in an indictment handed up Tuesday has been arrested in connection with the kidnapping of a Wake Forest man.
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack

Tuesday, April 22 2014 2:49 PM EDT2014-04-22 18:49:19 GMT
    Image from CNN/KHOU-TVImage from CNN/KHOU-TV
    In a backyard in Alvin, swings a very lucky girl. Her name is Mackenzi Plass, or Kenzi for short, and she survived a dog attack and has undergone several surgeries."She'll be two and a half in May," said her very proud mother Chelsi Camp. "She's doing great. You wouldn't know it if you couldn't see."Mackenzi has scars on her face after the ordeal just weeks ago that put her mother's animal instincts to the test."You do whatever you can," said Camp. "I don't have physical strength at my side."...

Mom wins lawsuit against TSA after breast milk screening problems

Wednesday, April 23 2014 4:40 PM EDT2014-04-23 20:40:54 GMT
    A Southern California woman who was held at a Phoenix airport four years ago after refusing to have her breast milk X-rayed has reached a settlement with the Transportation Security Administration. Stacey

Owner of Raleigh 'Party Mansion' guilty of tax evasion

Monday, April 14 2014 4:07 PM EDT2014-04-14 20:07:04 GMT
    Claude Verbal II, who now lives in Miami, pleads guilty to a number of federal tax evasion charges.
Powered by WorldNow

1350 13th Avenue
Columbus, GA 31901

Telephone: 706.323.3333
Fax: 706.327.6655
Email: news@wrbl.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.