NC fire officials: Gas on wood fire caused blast - WRBL

NC fire officials: Gas on wood fire caused blast

Posted: Updated:
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. -

North Carolina fire investigators say gasoline or some other fuel used to burn wood in an outdoor stove caused the explosion that killed one and injured four others clustered nearby.
    
The funeral for 28-year-old Martin Antoine Blossom is Saturday. He was killed by flying metal when the cast-iron stove exploded last weekend.
    
Fayetteville Fire Department Battalion Chief Ron Lewis says investigators determined that someone poured a gas or gas mixture onto a log inside the front-yard fire pit to accelerate the burning. Lewis says combustible vapors built up in the belly of the stove and ignited after someone stuck a piece of paper inside.
    
Dozens of relatives and neighbors gathered in Terry Casteel's front yard last Saturday night before the blast.

RELATED STORIES

Fayetteville Police: Explosion that killed 1, injured 3 was 'accidental'

 

Powered by WorldNow

1350 13th Avenue
Columbus, GA 31901

Telephone: 706.323.3333
Fax: 706.327.6655
Email: news@wrbl.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.