Man wants to thank Sarasota mystery rescuer - WRBL

Man wants to thank Sarasota mystery rescuer

Posted: Updated:
SARASOTA COUNTY, FL -

A tourist in Sarasota is alive today thanks to a mysterious teenager.

Earlier this week, the man nearly drowned as he was caught in a rip current at Turtle Beach.

The man wants a chance to say "thank you".

Jonathan Kiviniemi and his wife Alexa Miller are spending the week at Turtle Beach for their honeymoon.

On Monday evening, they went to the beach together.

Alexa went to snap photographs but Jonathan swam right out into the water.

There was a warning out there, but he swam anyway, and soon regretted it.

“There was a riptide warning, I wasn’t paying attention to it, probably should’ve being from out of town,” he said.

Kiviniemi said, "A wave crashed over my head that I didn't see, ducked me under. Came back up. When I came up, another wave hit me, started to get water in my throat and stuff."

"Absolutely terrifying,” said Alexa Miller.

Kiviniemi said, "[I] tried to find my way back in, couldn't. Started getting weaker and weaker, I started yelling for help."

"He was going to die,” said Miller.

Suddenly, a young boy, around 13 or so, was swimming with a yellow surfboard back to shore.

Miller heard the boy's mother yelling at him.

“She was yelling at him, ‘Dane! Go get him! Go get him!” said Miller.

In the meantime, Kiviniemi was still struggling in the water.

He said, "For me, he came out of nowhere. I was fighting to stay up and all of a sudden this surfboard pops in front of me and he was like, ‘Grab a hold!’

The teen had Kiviniemi climb onto the board as they swam to shore.

Kiviniemi said, "He's a little kid, I'm thinking- how are you saving me? So I was worried about him being alright because the board started crashing him under. He goes, 'I'm fine. Just stay on the board and hold on.' And I kept asking if he was ok and if I should let go and he said 'No, just hold on to the board.' And he brought me all the way back in."

They arrived to shore, and Kiviniemi embraced his wife. But then he looked up.

He said, "I saw [the teen] and his mom exiting right there, and they were gone. Couldn't find him, couldn't thank him, anything."

No chance to show their gratitude.

Miller said, "I’m not sure my husband would be here if it wasn't for him."

"I don't know who he is, or where he's from or anything but hopefully we can find him."

Kiviniemi wants the opportunity to thank the rescuer before he leaves the area this weekend.

If you have any information, Kiviniemi can be reached at Jkivinie@umail.iu.edu

• 8 On Your SideMore>>

FL vehicle registration renewal fees drop

Monday, September 1 2014 6:49 AM EDT2014-09-01 10:49:59 GMT
    That little gift you get from the state on your birthday every year, to renew your car tag, is going to be cheaper starting Monday.  The cut will save drivers about $13 to $25 depending on the size of their vehicle.

Mold takes over St. Pete condo, creeps into neighbors' homes

Friday, August 29 2014 5:48 PM EDT2014-08-29 21:48:06 GMT
    Josephine Ramos is literally sick about the toxic black mold growing in the St. Petersburg condominium beside hers. She's been feeling ill for months with headaches and breathing problems. Recently, she had peak inside the condo next doors and couldn't believe her eyes.

Lakeland neighborhood has continuing water problems, asks 8OYS for help

Friday, August 29 2014 5:03 PM EDT2014-08-29 21:03:34 GMT
    Some Lakeland residents are tired of wondering whether they'll have water at home. Over the past month, they tell 8 On Your Side that they've lost water with no warning at least five times. And what's worse, the water stays off for up to eight hours at a time
  • NewsMore>>

Labor Day - more than just a day off

Monday, September 1 2014 6:41 AM EDT2014-09-01 10:41:03 GMT
    While many people have the day off work, the day is actually meant to celebrate the achievements and contributions of American workers.

Two shot outside party in Tampa

Monday, September 1 2014 3:59 AM EDT2014-09-01 07:59:20 GMT
    Two people have gunshot wounds after a shooting outside a party in Tampa early Sunday morning, Tampa police said.

Pilot dies in plane crash near downtown St. Pete

Monday, September 1 2014 3:44 AM EDT2014-09-01 07:44:26 GMT
    Rescue boaters are on the scene of a downed banner plane near Albert Whitted Airport.Rescue boaters are on the scene of a downed banner plane near Albert Whitted Airport.
    The pilot of a banner plane that crashed into the water near Albert Whitted Airport has died, St. Petersburg police officials said.

• Sign up for WFLA News Channel 8 Email Alerts

* denotes required fields

Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
Powered by WorldNow

1350 13th Avenue
Columbus, GA 31901

Telephone: 706.323.3333
Fax: 706.327.6655
Email: news@wrbl.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.