Man wants to thank Sarasota mystery rescuer - WRBL

Man wants to thank Sarasota mystery rescuer

Posted: Updated:
SARASOTA COUNTY, FL -

A tourist in Sarasota is alive today thanks to a mysterious teenager.

Earlier this week, the man nearly drowned as he was caught in a rip current at Turtle Beach.

The man wants a chance to say "thank you".

Jonathan Kiviniemi and his wife Alexa Miller are spending the week at Turtle Beach for their honeymoon.

On Monday evening, they went to the beach together.

Alexa went to snap photographs but Jonathan swam right out into the water.

There was a warning out there, but he swam anyway, and soon regretted it.

“There was a riptide warning, I wasn’t paying attention to it, probably should’ve being from out of town,” he said.

Kiviniemi said, "A wave crashed over my head that I didn't see, ducked me under. Came back up. When I came up, another wave hit me, started to get water in my throat and stuff."

"Absolutely terrifying,” said Alexa Miller.

Kiviniemi said, "[I] tried to find my way back in, couldn't. Started getting weaker and weaker, I started yelling for help."

"He was going to die,” said Miller.

Suddenly, a young boy, around 13 or so, was swimming with a yellow surfboard back to shore.

Miller heard the boy's mother yelling at him.

“She was yelling at him, ‘Dane! Go get him! Go get him!” said Miller.

In the meantime, Kiviniemi was still struggling in the water.

He said, "For me, he came out of nowhere. I was fighting to stay up and all of a sudden this surfboard pops in front of me and he was like, ‘Grab a hold!’

The teen had Kiviniemi climb onto the board as they swam to shore.

Kiviniemi said, "He's a little kid, I'm thinking- how are you saving me? So I was worried about him being alright because the board started crashing him under. He goes, 'I'm fine. Just stay on the board and hold on.' And I kept asking if he was ok and if I should let go and he said 'No, just hold on to the board.' And he brought me all the way back in."

They arrived to shore, and Kiviniemi embraced his wife. But then he looked up.

He said, "I saw [the teen] and his mom exiting right there, and they were gone. Couldn't find him, couldn't thank him, anything."

No chance to show their gratitude.

Miller said, "I’m not sure my husband would be here if it wasn't for him."

"I don't know who he is, or where he's from or anything but hopefully we can find him."

Kiviniemi wants the opportunity to thank the rescuer before he leaves the area this weekend.

If you have any information, Kiviniemi can be reached at Jkivinie@umail.iu.edu

• 8 On Your SideMore>>

Pinellas homeowner ends up the loser after local government mistake on property taxes

Tuesday, July 22 2014 5:59 PM EDT2014-07-22 21:59:58 GMT
    This Preservation land is at heart of homeowner tax dispute in PinellasThis Preservation land is at heart of homeowner tax dispute in Pinellas
    Melanie and Jeffrey Cornwell should have been getting a tax break for years on part of the homestead property in Dunedin they call their "little piece of Heaven." But due to a mistake at the Pinellas Property Appraiser's Office, they won't see any rebates for previous taxes, just a break on future tax bills.

RECALL: Fruit at Trader Joe's & Costco

Tuesday, July 22 2014 5:45 PM EDT2014-07-22 21:45:14 GMT
    A Central California company has issued a voluntary nationwide recall of specific lots of its fresh peaches, plums, nectarines and pluots over concerns of possible listeria contamination.

How thieves clone your credit cards

Tuesday, July 22 2014 9:15 AM EDT2014-07-22 13:15:02 GMT
    File photoFile photo
    Patricia Stack didn't know her debit card number had been stolen until she tried to withdraw money from her bank account. "A couple weeks ago I tried to get money out to pay my power bill and there was nothing in it."
  • Sign up for WFLA News Channel 8 Email Alerts

* denotes required fields

Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

Couple arrested for having sex on Cortez Beach in front of beachgoers

Tuesday, July 22 2014 1:08 PM EDT2014-07-22 17:08:35 GMT
    Bradenton Beach police officers were dispatched to Cortez Beach after a few people called 911 and complained about a couple having sex publicly, right next to a little girl on the beach.

'Faces of Meth' program launched by Sheriff's office

Monday, July 21 2014 6:37 PM EDT2014-07-21 22:37:35 GMT
    'Faces of Meth' is a project of the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office.
    'Faces of Meth' is a project of the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office.

Tampa veterinarian solves mystery behind dog's unusual injury

Tuesday, July 22 2014 2:23 PM EDT2014-07-22 18:23:33 GMT
    Riccie could not walk because of an injury to her back. Family photoRiccie could not walk because of an injury to her back. Family photo
    A Tampa-area Tibetan spaniel is on the road to recovery after a quick-thinking veterinarian figured out what caused a mysterious wound to the dog's back, in one of the most unusual cases he's seen.
Powered by WorldNow

1350 13th Avenue
Columbus, GA 31901

Telephone: 706.323.3333
Fax: 706.327.6655
Email: news@wrbl.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.