Man wants to thank Sarasota mystery rescuer - WRBL

Man wants to thank Sarasota mystery rescuer

Posted: Updated:
SARASOTA COUNTY, FL -

A tourist in Sarasota is alive today thanks to a mysterious teenager.

Earlier this week, the man nearly drowned as he was caught in a rip current at Turtle Beach.

The man wants a chance to say "thank you".

Jonathan Kiviniemi and his wife Alexa Miller are spending the week at Turtle Beach for their honeymoon.

On Monday evening, they went to the beach together.

Alexa went to snap photographs but Jonathan swam right out into the water.

There was a warning out there, but he swam anyway, and soon regretted it.

“There was a riptide warning, I wasn’t paying attention to it, probably should’ve being from out of town,” he said.

Kiviniemi said, "A wave crashed over my head that I didn't see, ducked me under. Came back up. When I came up, another wave hit me, started to get water in my throat and stuff."

"Absolutely terrifying,” said Alexa Miller.

Kiviniemi said, "[I] tried to find my way back in, couldn't. Started getting weaker and weaker, I started yelling for help."

"He was going to die,” said Miller.

Suddenly, a young boy, around 13 or so, was swimming with a yellow surfboard back to shore.

Miller heard the boy's mother yelling at him.

“She was yelling at him, ‘Dane! Go get him! Go get him!” said Miller.

In the meantime, Kiviniemi was still struggling in the water.

He said, "For me, he came out of nowhere. I was fighting to stay up and all of a sudden this surfboard pops in front of me and he was like, ‘Grab a hold!’

The teen had Kiviniemi climb onto the board as they swam to shore.

Kiviniemi said, "He's a little kid, I'm thinking- how are you saving me? So I was worried about him being alright because the board started crashing him under. He goes, 'I'm fine. Just stay on the board and hold on.' And I kept asking if he was ok and if I should let go and he said 'No, just hold on to the board.' And he brought me all the way back in."

They arrived to shore, and Kiviniemi embraced his wife. But then he looked up.

He said, "I saw [the teen] and his mom exiting right there, and they were gone. Couldn't find him, couldn't thank him, anything."

No chance to show their gratitude.

Miller said, "I’m not sure my husband would be here if it wasn't for him."

"I don't know who he is, or where he's from or anything but hopefully we can find him."

Kiviniemi wants the opportunity to thank the rescuer before he leaves the area this weekend.

If you have any information, Kiviniemi can be reached at Jkivinie@umail.iu.edu

• NewsMore>>

St. Pete man will relocate bees for free

Monday, July 28 2014 11:39 AM EDT2014-07-28 15:39:17 GMT
    Mr NaturalsMr Naturals
    He's a carpenter by day, but bees are his passion.
    He's a carpenter by day, but bees are his passion.

Teen killed by stray bullet in Manatee shooting

Monday, July 28 2014 9:53 AM EDT2014-07-28 13:53:32 GMT
    A shooting was reported at the intersection of the US Highway 301 and University Parkway early Monday morning where a 17-year-old was struck by a bullet and killed, Manatee County Sheriff's Office said.

Plane lands on Venice beach kills father, injures daughter, 9

Monday, July 28 2014 9:38 AM EDT2014-07-28 13:38:30 GMT
    Man killed and his daughter was critical injured when they were hit by a plane making a crash landing on Caspersen Beach in Venice.Man killed and his daughter was critical injured when they were hit by a plane making a crash landing on Caspersen Beach in Venice.
    An emergency landing by a small plane on Caspersen Beach in Venice claimed the life of a man walking with his young daughter Sunday, the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office said.
  • Sign up for WFLA News Channel 8 Email Alerts

* denotes required fields

Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

VIDEO: Sea turtles hatch in the Keys

Monday, July 28 2014 8:09 AM EDT2014-07-28 12:09:17 GMT
    Look at them go - these tiny sea turtles hatched in the Keys this weekend.
    Look at them go - these tiny sea turtles hatched in the Keys this weekend.

16 Old Wives' Tales We've All Heard

Wednesday, July 16 2014 2:11 PM EDT2014-07-16 18:11:56 GMT
    Here are some of the common old wives' tales that we still hear today.
    Here are some of the common old wives' tales that we still hear today.

PHOTOS: Savannah Woman Celebrates her 105th Birthday

Friday, July 25 2014 3:11 PM EDT2014-07-25 19:11:27 GMT
    On Friday, Mrs. Isabel Hansen Coons, celebrated her 105th birthday with a big bash at Summer Breeze Senior Living on Wilmington Island.Mrs. Coons was born in 1909 and has been a resident of Savannah since 1986. Staff at Summer Breeze Senior Living say she is spirited, competitive and full off insightful advice. They add that Mrs. Coons attributes her longevity to 'moderation.'Happy Birthday Mrs. Coons!
Powered by WorldNow

1350 13th Avenue
Columbus, GA 31901

Telephone: 706.323.3333
Fax: 706.327.6655
Email: news@wrbl.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.