School Officials: Students passed out during blood donation pres - WRBL

ADVERTISEMENT
Bookmark and Share

School Officials: Students passed out during blood donation presentation

Posted: Updated:
GREENVILLE, N.C. -

Officials at the Oakwood School in Greenville say three students who passed out and four others that experienced dizziness this morning were watching a Red Cross presentation on blood donation and collection.

The school is located on MacGregor Downs Road in Greenville.

Around 8:35 a.m. Greenville Police responded to the school along with Greenville Fire Rescue and Greenville Utilities for a reported gas leak in the upper school building. A sweep of the building by Greenville Utilities revealed no gas leak.

The seven 8th-12th graders were taken to Vidant Medical Center as a precautionary measure. The remaining students in the Upper School building were evacuated and moved to the Main Campus building as a precaution.

The students who became ill were treated and released from Vidant Medical Center. There were no anthropogenic causes to support what happened to them. Furthermore, no test results support environmental causes for the incident.
 
The Upper School building has since been reopened. Classes will resume at their regular times on Friday.

 


 

Oakwood Letter

Dear Oakwood Parents and Friends,
 
Earlier today, the Upper School was evacuated after 3 students became ill while attending a morning meeting. The children were immediately transported to the Vidant Medical Center, along with 4 other students who experienced dizziness, to receive care for their symptoms. The staff and faculty immediately moved all students to the elementary campus. The school received immediate assistance from the Greenville Fire and Rescue, Greenville Police Department and Greenville Utilities Company to identify any potential concerns related to the building and mechanical systems.
 
There was no gas leak as earlier reported in the media. There are no gas connections to the school or the science lab in the Upper School and Greenville Utilities Company confirmed this while checking for additional issues that could have caused the incident. All precautions have been taken to ensure the safety of our facilities, including having all air and heating systems checked by our HVAC contractor, to test for Freon leaks and air quality related to the systems, and no problems were found. The school also worked with CA Lewis to complete further testing to confirm the safety of the Upper School facilities.
 
While attending the morning meeting, the 8th-12th grade classes were hearing a Red Cross presentation detailing the steps of blood donation and blood collection. The students who became ill received care at Vidant and have since been released. They were thoroughly checked for any anthropogenic causes that could have been related to the episode. So far there has been no test results that provide information related to environmental causes that might have precipitated the incident.
 
After extensive examination of the property by the staff, police, fire and rescue, and system contractors the Upper School building has been reopened and classes will resume at regular time tomorrow. Our focus is on the safety of our students and we have taken all the necessary steps needed to confirm that the building is safe for student occupancy.
 
Rob Peterson
 
Head of School

 

Powered by WorldNow

1350 13th Avenue
Columbus, GA 31901

Telephone: 706.323.3333
Fax: 706.327.6655
Email: news@wrbl.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.