WNCN wants you to stay safe and many in Raleigh are taking extra precautions after some recent robberies. Here are some tips on how to avoid being in a dangerous situation, and what to do if you are:
* Travel in well-lit streets. Walk on the side of the street nearest oncoming traffic.
* If you travel at night, don't carry more than you can afford to lose.
* Carry a second wallet with a few $1 bills and old credit cards. If confronted, give the robber the second wallet.
* Never allow the robber to take you to another location.
* Watch a robber's hands – if they are not wearing gloves they will leave finger prints
* Be observant – get information about the robber's features
* Walk with a companion - an armed robber is less likely to confront two or more people.
* Travel in well-lit streets and don't take shortcuts through deserted areas.
* Park in well-lighted areas and be cautious entering your car as someone may be hiding inside.
* If someone asks directions, maintain a safe distance.
* Stay on the kidnapper's good side until you can escape.