NC appeals court weighs Duke Energy merger deal - WRBL

NC appeals court weighs Duke Energy merger deal

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. -

A North Carolina appeals court on Wednesday began weighing whether the state utilities regulator fully considered consumers before approving the deal that made Charlotte-based Duke Energy Corp. the country's largest electric company.
    
The three-judge panel heard arguments in a lawsuit challenging the state Utilities Commission's decision last year to allow Duke Energy to buy Raleigh-based Progress Energy. The advocacy group NC WARN contends the commission allowed Duke to make deals with big power customers while consumer risks were played down.
    
NC WARN attorney John Runkle said that while it was too late to unravel the deal that closed 16 months ago, the panel should direct the Utilities Commission to re-examine the deal to consider detailed consumer effects. The state Supreme Court ruled earlier this year that the state Utilities Commission did not adequately consider the negative effect on consumers by allowing Duke Energy to raise rates by 7 percent.
    
Although the merger included the promise that Duke Energy would pass along at least $650 million in fuel savings to consumers, NC WARN has pushed that the company contribute another $27 million a year for a decade to help low-income residents. Runkle raised the suggestion again in court.
    
"You're basically asking us to reverse the commission and impose a $270 million" order, McCullough said. "Can we do that?"
    
Duke Energy countered that NC WARN ignores that without the merger there would be no shared fuel savings at all.
    
The commission met its duty of deciding whether the deal broadly met the public interest and regulators weren't required to consider the impact on poor residents or any other group, Duke Energy attorney Dwight Allen said.
    
State law "doesn't say that they have to go through every single expense, every single item," Allen told the court. "What we have to do is show benefits at least equal to and outweighing the costs of the merger. The record in this case is that that has been the case."
    
Power companies are buying each other up because the generating plants built across the country in the 1950s and '60s need replacing, a huge cost that requires companies big enough and profitable enough to borrow billions at low interest rates, Allen said. State regulators knew that failing to allow Duke and Progress to combine might have led to about 30,000 jobs and much of the taxes the combined company paid to be pulled away by an out-of-state competitor, Allen said.
    
"There were a number of companies looking to acquire Duke and Progress," he said.
    
The city of Orangeburg, S.C., is also challenging terms of the merger that would make it harder for the city to get discounted electricity when its current contract with Duke Energy ends in about a decade, attorney James Horwood said.
    
The lawsuit challenging the merger is the latest twist in a multi-billion-dollar deal and the boardroom intrigue behind it.
    
Days after the utilities commission blessed the merger of North Carolina's two Fortune 500 energy companies, Duke Energy closed the deal July 2, 2012. The company shocked investors and consumers by saying the completed merger including the hiring and firing hours later of Progress Energy CEO Bill Johnson, who for a year and a half had been promised the job heading the combined company. The surprise CEO switch prompted shareholder lawsuits, led consumers to suggest the state regulator was duped, pushed board members to resign and drove down Duke Energy's stock price.
    
The state's utilities commission and attorney general launched separate investigations into whether Duke Energy misled officials before its buyout. Both settled after the company agreed to greater oversight, management changes and another $30 million for ratepayers and low-income assistance.
    
Duke Energy serves 7.2 million customers in the Carolinas, Florida, Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio. It is the largest U.S. utility as measured by number of customers and market value. Duke posted third quarter profits of $1 billion on Wednesday, almost 70 percent higher than the same period last year.
 

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack

    Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 2:49 PM EDT2014-04-22 18:49:19 GMT
    Image from CNN/KHOU-TVImage from CNN/KHOU-TV
    In a backyard in Alvin, swings a very lucky girl. Her name is Mackenzi Plass, or Kenzi for short, and she survived a dog attack and has undergone several surgeries."She'll be two and a half in May," said her very proud mother Chelsi Camp. "She's doing great. You wouldn't know it if you couldn't see."Mackenzi has scars on her face after the ordeal just weeks ago that put her mother's animal instincts to the test."You do whatever you can," said Camp. "I don't have physical strength at my side."...
    In a backyard in Alvin, swings a very lucky girl. Her name is Mackenzi Plass, or Kenzi for short, and she survived a dog attack and has undergone several surgeries."She'll be two and a half in May," said her very proud mother Chelsi Camp. "She's doing great. You wouldn't know it if you couldn't see."Mackenzi has scars on her face after the ordeal just weeks ago that put her mother's animal instincts to the test."You do whatever you can," said Camp. "I don't have physical strength at my side."...
  • Owner of Raleigh 'Party Mansion' guilty of tax evasion

    Owner of Raleigh 'Party Mansion' guilty of tax evasion

    Monday, April 14 2014 4:07 PM EDT2014-04-14 20:07:04 GMT
    Claude Verbal II, who now lives in Miami, pleads guilty to a number of federal tax evasion charges.
    Claude Verbal II, who now lives in Miami, pleads guilty to a number of federal tax evasion charges.
  • Indictment: Prosecutor was target of Wake Forest kidnapping

    Indictment: Prosecutor was target of Wake Forest kidnapping

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 6:57 PM EDT2014-04-22 22:57:33 GMT
    The U.S. Department of Justice said Kevin Melton has been charged with conspiring to kidnap in relation to the abduction of Frank Janssen from his Wake Forest homeThe U.S. Department of Justice said Kevin Melton has been charged with conspiring to kidnap in relation to the abduction of Frank Janssen from his Wake Forest home
    Nine people have been indicted in connection with the kidnapping of a Wake Forest man whose daughter prosecuted a high-ranking member of the Bloods street gang.
    Nine people have been indicted in connection with the kidnapping of a Wake Forest man whose daughter prosecuted a high-ranking member of the Bloods street gang.
Powered by WorldNow

1350 13th Avenue
Columbus, GA 31901

Telephone: 706.323.3333
Fax: 706.327.6655
Email: news@wrbl.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.