Family of Navy Yard victim with ties to Fayetteville suing gover - WRBL

Family of Navy Yard victim with ties to Fayetteville suing government

Posted: Updated:
Mary Frances Delorenzo Knight Mary Frances Delorenzo Knight
TAMPA, Fla. -

The family of a Navy Yard shooting victim with ties to Fayetteville are set to announce at a press conference on Friday morning in Tampa, Fla. that they're suing the U.S. Navy and U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

The family of Mary Frances Delorenzo Knight, a graduate of 71st High School in Fayetteville and UNC Chapel Hill, is suing the U.S. government alleging they were negligent in allowing its security to be breached by the shooter, Aaron Alexis.

Knight's sister Patricia Delorenzo, and her two daughters Nicole and Danielle, are seeking $12.5 million each in the suit, bringing the total sum to $37.5 million.

In a release from the family's counsel, they allege the government had knowledge that Alexis had delusions and was a potential danger to the public.

Knight had been living in the Washington, D.C. area for about five years and also taught classes at Northern Virginia Community College in addition to her job at the Washington Navy Yard. Before that, she taught military science at Fort Bragg.

Alexis killed 12 people and injured eight before being shot and killed by authorities on scene.

RELATED STORIES

  • U.S.More>>

  • Attorney: Detroit needs debt plan to survive

    Attorney: Detroit needs debt plan to survive

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 6:44 PM EDT2014-09-02 22:44:14 GMT
    Lawyers for Detroit will attempt to convince a judge with the start of the city's bankruptcy trial that its plans to wipe out billions of dollars in debt should be approved.
    The plan to restructure billions of dollars in debt is the vehicle the Motor City needs to free up funds to provide services to residents and allow the city to survive, one of Detroit's attorneys told the federal judge...
  • 7-year-old boy injured while target shooting in California

    7-year-old boy injured while target shooting in California

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 7:26 AM EDT2014-09-02 11:26:02 GMT
    A 7-year-old boy remained in a Sacramento, California, hospital Monday, two days after he was injured while target shooting, authorities said Monday.
    A 7-year-old boy remained in a Sacramento, California, hospital Monday, two days after he was injured while target shooting, authorities said Monday.
  • Jennifer Lawrence requests nude pics investigation

    Jennifer Lawrence requests nude pics investigation

    Monday, September 1 2014 1:27 PM EDT2014-09-01 17:27:57 GMT
    67th international film festival, Cannes, southern France, Saturday, May 17, 2014. (Photo by Arthur Mola/Invision/AP)67th international film festival, Cannes, southern France, Saturday, May 17, 2014. (Photo by Arthur Mola/Invision/AP)
    A publicist for Jennifer Lawrence says the actress has contacted authorities after nude photos of her were apparently stolen and posted online.
    A publicist for Jennifer Lawrence says the actress has contacted authorities after nude photos of her were apparently stolen and posted online.
Powered by WorldNow

1350 13th Avenue
Columbus, GA 31901

Telephone: 706.323.3333
Fax: 706.327.6655
Email: news@wrbl.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.