North Carolina coach Roy Williams said Thursday that P.J. Hairston and senior Leslie McDonald will not play Friday night against Holy Cross.
The Hall of Fame coach is still waiting to find out how long the two will be out.
"It's what it is," Williams said. "Everyone is trying to do their best and we're trying to move along. We just do the best we can."
UNC and the NCAA are trying to resolve eligibility issues involving the two, who also missed Carolina's opening win against Oakland Friday.
Authorities cited Hairston in May and June while driving a rental vehicle linked to a felon, raising the possibility of an improper benefits violation.
The school hasn't specified McDonald's issue, though UNC had to send a letter this summer ordering a company that makes designer mouth guards to stop using McDonald on a website promoting its brand.
McDonald had made at least one social media post last year about wearing one of the company's mouth guards. NCAA rules generally prohibit athletes from endorsing or promoting a company or product.
Williams had hoped to have any lingering eligibility questions resolved by now. During the team's media day on Sept. 26, Williams said a decision on Hairston's status would come "before the season starts, there's no question."
Hairston, a 6-foot-6 junior, averaged about 15 points and shot 40 percent from 3-point range, with most of that production after he was elevated to a full-time starting role in a four-guard lineup that sparked a late surge for the Tar Heels.
McDonald, a 6-5 guard, averaged 7.2 points and shot 36 percent from behind the arc last year in a reserve role.