Auburn history and perspective lives in David Housel - WRBL

Text Description

Auburn history and perspective lives in David Housel

Posted: Updated:
AUBURN, Ala. -

David Housel is essentially a historian on Auburn football. With all of his experiences and stories, we knew we had to sit down with him and chat with him about auburn and his life.

When it comes to Auburn football, not many people have more knowledge than David Housel. The former athletic director says this era of Auburn's resurgence this year is unique.

"I don't remember a roller coaster ride like this one," said Housel. "It is a thrilling joy ride. To really enjoy the peaks, I hate to say it, but you have to go down to the dregs at the bottom. That is kind of where Auburn is."

Housel says Ricardo Lewis' Hail Mary catch against Georgia was one for the historical highlight reel.

"I think it would rival only one thing in this old man's memory. I think it would rival the second blocked punt in Birmingham in 1972. Totally unexpected, totally unanticipated, totally hoped for," Housel said.

Much of Housel's life has centered on Auburn football. He considers it an honor to serve the university.

"But, if you're an Auburn person and Auburn is in your heart, and Auburn is in your soul, you know what makes it special.  Auburn is more than a football game. It is more than bricks and mortar. It is a spirit and it is a way of life," he said.

But, don't expect a man who has watched this much Auburn football to lack perspective when talking about this week's Iron Bowl.

"There is always the game of the century. There is always the crime of the century. You know, we're not but 13 years into this century. We have already had four or five games of the century. Yeah, I can remember Iron bowls that had this much riding on it. In 1971, for example, both teams were undefeated. And the winner was going to have a shot at the national championship," said Housel.

David Housel has been a part of many generations of Auburn football. He feels joy every time he looks at the AU logo.

"I smile. I smile for many reasons. Some of which are football. Most of which are not football," said Housel.

"And that smile represents...?," we asked.

"People, shared experience, people in my life, gratitude for my many blessings of being an Auburn man," Housel said.

Housel is very much anticipating Saturday's game. He loves the football, but the camaraderie with his friends and family, that is what he is looking forward to most.

Dayne Young

Dayne is a sports anchor and reporter for WRBL. He started covering the Chattahoochee Valley in September 2012. More>>

• Community NewsMore>>

WRBL's 'Our Town' Warm Springs newscasts moved to April 12

Monday, November 18 2013 1:50 PM EST2013-11-18 18:50:08 GMT
    Photo By: Kevin Roble - News 3 Chief Photographer Photo By: Kevin Roble - News 3 Chief Photographer
    As part of WRBL's 60th Anniversary celebration, the station's "Our Town" tour will make a stop in historic Warm Springs, Georgia on Thursday, April 11th. The station will broadcast portions of "News 3
    Due to the threat of severe weather on Thursday, WRBL has made the decision to move the station's "Our Town" visit in historic Warm Springs, Georgia from Thursday, April 11th to Friday, April 12.

A Tour of Auburn with Mayor Bill Ham

Tuesday, December 3 2013 4:26 PM EST2013-12-03 21:26:29 GMT
    Mayor Bill Ham is in his fourth term as mayor of Auburn. When he walks the city sidewalks, family memories come flooding back. His father ran Bill Ham Cleaners on Magnolia Street for 35 years. Standing in front of the old storefront, Ham told me, "At the Georgia game I still had people that would say to me, 'Man, I was in school and your dad helped me do this or that.' He was there long enough to touch a lot of generations." Ham has a lot to brag about when it comes to Auburn. It ranks as th...

On-Demand: Our Town Auburn

Tuesday, November 26 2013 7:00 PM EST2013-11-27 00:00:58 GMT
    Replay in its entirety WRBL News 3's "Our Town Auburn" from Tuesday, November 26, 2013.