Alabama apartment explosion kills 1, injures 8 - WRBL

Alabama apartment explosion kills 1, injures 8

Posted: Updated:
GATE CITY, Ala. - Around 2:45 Tuesday morning, an explosion at the Marks Village Apartments in Gate City caused a unit to partially collapse. Four adults and four children were injured. One woman was killed. 

Authorities have identified the victim as 40-year-old Tyrennise Mabry. 

Residents of Mark Village apartments describe the early morning explosion: 

"The big, just the boom of it and everybody went hollering and screaming. No that's just something scary. Lights went off," said resident Ashley Sharps. 

 "I was in the house watching TV and then we heard a big boom like a breaker going off. It was louder than that. It shook the apartment complex," describes witness Darrius Sigler. 

The explosion is believed to be caused by a natural gas leak. Many residents of the apartment complex say this doesn't come as a surprise because they've been complaining about a gas odor for a while. 

"I complained to the rental office probably about two weeks ago about gas. But the guy when he came to light my floor heater he told me that as long as it wasn't my apartment he couldn't smell any gas. And I told him I could smell it from my front door," said Christianna Braxton, a resident of Marks Village apartments. 

Crews from ALAGASCO have been out at the apartment complex in Gate City most of the day. But for some residents, their efforts are too little too late. 

"We have been complaining about our problems out here and they just now want to do something about it because of this tragedy. It's sad to say that everything had to blow up in order for them to come out here and do what they're doing now," said resident Natasha Jones. 

Residents directly affected by the explosion are being relocated. But for some of the residents left behind, fear still lingers. 

"I don't even want to stay here like that's scary because we have heaters, ovens, like that's gas. I don't want to stay here," said Ashley Sharps. 

Soon after the explosion, ALAGASCO cut gas service off to the areas. By late afternoon Tuesday, service had been restored to all but 12 units of the Marks Village Apartments. 

For ways to help those affected by this explosion, click here
Powered by WorldNow

1350 13th Avenue
Columbus, GA 31901

Telephone: 706.323.3333
Fax: 706.327.6655

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.