CHAPEL HILL: Lint buildup in dryer vent sparks apartment fire - WRBL

Lint buildup in dryer vent sparks Chapel Hill apartment fire

Posted: Updated:
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -

A Friday morning apartment fire in Chapel Hill started in a vent hose connected to a dryer in one the units, fire officials said.

The Chapel Hill Fire Department responded to a report of a fire at The Point apartment complex on Edisto Court shortly before 9:30 a.m. Friday.

Fire crews determined that the fire originated in the vent hose of a clothes dryer, causing a moderate amount of fire and smoke damage. The apartment building did have a sprinkler system which helped extinguish the fire.

The fire marshal determined that lint buildup in a curve in the flexible aluminum vent hose had begun smoldering during a recent use and ignited after the driver was turned off.

Fire officials said no one was home at the time of the fire and no one was injured.

Chapel Hill Fire Department says approximately 15,000 fires per year are caused by clothes dryers.

Copyright 2014 WNCN. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1350 13th Avenue
Columbus, GA 31901

Telephone: 706.323.3333
Fax: 706.327.6655
Email: news@wrbl.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.