Quadriplegic dies in Wilson County house fire - WRBL

Quadriplegic dies in Wilson County house fire

Posted: Updated:

ELM CITY, N.C. (AP) - Wilson County officials say a quadriplegic is dead and two family members hospitalized after fire destroyed the man's home.

The Wilson Times reports (http://bit.ly/1fIAaoj) Emergency Management Coordinator Gordon Deno said a propane cylinder was connected to a portable gas heater. Deno said people in the house heard gas hissing and a flash followed, leading to a fire.

Authorities said 28-year-old Naquane Farmer died in Tuesday night's fire. They said his 48-year-old mother, Angela Barham, was taken to Wilson Medical Center for treatment. The sheriff's office said 75-year-old grandmother Alice Barham was transported to the Jaycee Burn Center at UNC Health Care in Chapel Hill with injuries to her face, neck and forearms.

Chief Lin Jones of the Toisnot Rural Fire Department said firefighters spent about an hour dousing the flames.

Information from: The Wilson Daily Times, http://www.wilsondaily.com

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow

1350 13th Avenue
Columbus, GA 31901

Telephone: 706.323.3333
Fax: 706.327.6655
Email: news@wrbl.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.