Tony Barbee has been fired as head coach of the Auburn men’s basketball program.
Athletics director Jay Jacobs announced via Twitter: “I’ve made the decision tonight to move our men’s basketball program in a different direction.”
The move came just hours after Auburn’s 74-56 loss to South Carolina in the opening round of the SEC Tournament. Auburn has not won a tournament game since 2009.
“After careful evaluation of the last four years, I feel this is best for our program,” Jacobs told AuburnTigers.com.
"I believe we should compete for championships in men's basketball. It's time for somebody else to have a turn. We need to find somebody to come in here and take what we have here now and put some more in and compete for SEC titles,” Jacobs told the school-affiliated website.
Barbee finished his career at Auburn 48-75 overall, just 18-50 in SEC play.
"As I said last year, I hoped to see significant improvement this season,” Jacobs said in a news release. “Unfortunately, the results fell short of my expectations. As Athletics Director, I expect more from our basketball program. That is why I believe it is time to move in a new direction."
The search for a new coach will not wait.
“The search for a new basketball coach will begin immediately,” Jacobs said. “My goal is to find a proven winner who is committed to the success of our student-athletes on and off the court. Our student-athletes deserve nothing less than the opportunity to compete at the highest level, and that’s what I intend to deliver for them."
Friday, August 1 2014 4:07 PM EDT2014-08-01 20:07:11 GMT
One of two 12-year-old Wisconsin girls charged as an adult with stabbing a classmate to please a fictional online horror character has been found mentally unable to stand trial.
One of two preteens accused of stabbing a classmate 19 times to please a fictional horror character was ordered Friday to receive treatment rather than stand trial, based on doctors' testimony that she claims to see...