Auburn holds first scrimmage of the spring - WRBL

Auburn holds first scrimmage of the spring

Posted: Updated:
Spring football is continuing for the Auburn Tigers. They had their first scrimmage of the spring Saturday.

They did have the scrimmage in the indoor facility because of the rainy weather. This year is different from last year because the players know the system.

 “It was good for us as coaches,” said Gus Malzahn. “We'll be able to go in the film room. It's the first time for a true scrimmage. Now, we can evaluate our guys. We will narrow it down as we go, but I thought our energy level was good. I thought it was a very physical scrimmage which was very encouraging. “

 “We are just picking back off what we left off,” said wide receiver Marcus Davis. “I feel like everybody knows what they're doing and knows what to expect. Everything is going how it is supposed to be.”

 “It's great to have those guys out there and have everyone playing again,” said defensive lineman Angelo Blackson. “We had a long offseason pretty much and it's good to be hitting again.”

Coach Malzahn didn't give any information about specific position battles except that players got equal reps.

The main position of interest is running back. With Tre Mason gone, Corey Grant and Cameron Artis-Payne will be competing to fill that void.

Malzahn said the offense in the scrimmage ran the ball 60 percent of the time and threw it the other 40 percent.

The next step is for coaches to go back and look at the film to see how players performed.

Dayne Young

Dayne is a sports anchor and reporter for WRBL. He started covering the Chattahoochee Valley in September 2012. More>>

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Photo Slideshow: Miss Georgia Pageant 2013 Contestants

    Photo Slideshow: Miss Georgia Pageant 2013 Contestants

    Wednesday, June 18 2014 4:30 PM EDT2014-06-18 20:30:54 GMT
    Meet the 2013 Miss Georgia Pageant contests and be sure to watch them compete live here on WRBL.com!
    Meet the 2013 Miss Georgia Pageant contests and be sure to watch them compete live here on WRBL.com!
  • UPDATE: Police investigate shooting at North Columbus apartment complex

    UPDATE: Police investigate shooting at North Columbus apartment complex

    Saturday, September 13 2014 6:33 PM EDT2014-09-13 22:33:56 GMT
    Columbus police are investigating a shooting at the Greystone at Inverness apartments on Moon Road early Friday morning.At least one has been transported to the hospital, according to police.
    Columbus police are investigating a shooting at the Greystone at Inverness apartments on Moon Road early Friday morning.At least one has been transported to the hospital, according to police.
  • WRBL: News 3 Live Stream

    News 3 Live

    Watch "News 3 Midday" live on your computer and smartphone
    Watch "News 3 Midday" live on your computer and smartphone
  • SportsMore>>

  • Tuskegee beats Albany State in inaugural White Water Classic

    Tuskegee beats Albany State in inaugural White Water Classic

    Saturday, September 13 2014 11:11 PM EDT2014-09-14 03:11:02 GMT
    Despite a lightning delay shortly before halftime, the first White Water Classic at Garrett-Harrison Stadium seemingly went off without a hitch.
    Despite a lightning delay shortly before halftime, the first White Water Classic at Garrett-Harrison Stadium seemingly went off without a hitch.
  • WRBL PrepZone high school football scores

    WRBL PrepZone high school football scores

    Friday, September 12 2014 7:00 PM EDT2014-09-12 23:00:21 GMT
    The latest football news from WRBL News 3 sports each Friday night at 11:15p et on The PrepZone.The latest football news from WRBL News 3 sports each Friday night at 11:15p et on The PrepZone.

    Latest in-game and final high school football scores from across the Chattahoochee River valley area.

    Latest in-game and final high school football scores from across the Chattahoochee River valley area.

  • Central runs over Lee, 43-14

    Central runs over Lee, 43-14

    Thursday, September 11 2014 11:46 PM EDT2014-09-12 03:46:12 GMT
     The Central Red Devils moved to 4-0 in Jamey DuBose's first season on the sideline, 2-0 in region 2-7A, beating Lee-Montgomery, 43-14, Thursday night.
     The Central Red Devils moved to 4-0 in Jamey DuBose's first season on the sideline, 2-0 in region 2-7A, beating Lee-Montgomery, 43-14, Thursday night.
Powered by WorldNow

1350 13th Avenue
Columbus, GA 31901

Telephone: 706.323.3333
Fax: 706.327.6655
Email: news@wrbl.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.