On Your Side: Avoiding Storm Donation Scams - WRBL

On Your Side: Avoiding Storm Donation Scams

Posted: Updated:
Lee County, Ala - Thirty-two Lee County homes have been destroyed and about 100 houses were damaged because of the storms earlier this week. Donations help families that have been removed from these homes as they wait for their insurance claims or federal assistance; but officials are warning you to not to let scammers take advantage of your generosity.

“We all want to give in these circumstances,” said Leonard Crain of the Better Business Bureau. “Just be sure that we know who we're giving to and that it's to a worthwhile organization that's going to do right by our donations.”

A few worthwhile organizations are the Red Cross, Salvation Army and United Way of Alabama, also known as the charity you donate to when dialing 2-1-1 in Alabama. According to financial documents filed to the IRS, United Way of Alabama gives 96% of their donations toward services, such as storm recovery. They pay administrative and fundraising costs with the other 4%. The Red Cross gives 90% of your money back towards serving the community, with 10% going toward administrative and fundraising expenses. The Salvation Army gives 96% of their donations toward service programs, and the other 4% going toward administrative costs.

Crain warns that there are people and organizations out there that take your donations and give 0% of it toward services. Instead, they keep it for themselves.

“People like this pop up after every natural disaster, it happens,” said Crain.

After Hurricane Sandy, officials found over 1,000 fake charity websites ran by people hoping to make money off the disaster. After the storm, a couple started the “Hurricane Sandy Relief Foundation" and the couple claimed to be storm victims raising money for others who had also suffered devastating losses. But the two actually lived 100 miles north of the Shore and they used donations to pay off credit card debt and other personal expenses and items, according to the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs. The couple made over $600,000 in donations.

To make sure your money is actually going to the victims, Crane says to:

  • Donate to recognized charities.
  • Be wary of charities with names that are similar to familiar or nationally known organizations. Some phony charities use names or websites that sound or look like those of respected, legitimate organizations. You can check with the Secretary of State to search for registered charities.
  • Don’t give out personal financial information — such as Social Security numbers or credit card and bank account numbers and passwords — to anyone who solicits a contribution from you. Scam artists may use this information to steal your identity and money.
  • Don’t give or send cash. For security and tax record purposes, contribute by check or credit card or another way that provides documentation of the gift.

Crane also says if you want your donation to go straight toward storm relief in Lee County, you need to indicate to the charity that you want to do so.


David Hurst

David Hurst, a graduate of the Univ. of Georgia, is News 3's nightside reporter.
More>>

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • WRBL Poll: Georgia governor, senate races remain tight

    WRBL Poll: Georgia governor, senate races remain tight

    Sep 02, 2014 04:41 PM2014-09-02 21:47:57 GMT
    New WRBL News 3 / Ledger-Enquirer / PMB Broadcasting poll carried out by GaPundit.com show Georgia governor and senate race remains neck and neck ahead of November election.New WRBL News 3 / Ledger-Enquirer / PMB Broadcasting poll carried out by GaPundit.com show Georgia governor and senate race remains neck and neck ahead of November election.
    New statewide Georgia poll finds the race between Nathan Deal and Jason Carter for governor - and the race between David Perdue and Michelle Nunn for U.S. Senate - remain highly competitive.
    New statewide Georgia poll finds the race between Nathan Deal and Jason Carter for governor - and the race between David Perdue and Michelle Nunn for U.S. Senate - remain highly competitive.
  • PHOTOS: Phenix City gas station robbed at gunpoint

    PHOTOS: Phenix City gas station robbed at gunpoint

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 11:23 AM EDT2014-09-02 15:23:31 GMT
    Surveillance image show an armed man robbing a Phenix City gas station early Monday morning.Surveillance image show an armed man robbing a Phenix City gas station early Monday morning.
    Phenix City police release images of a man robbing a gas station at gunpoint early Monday morning.
    Phenix City police release images of a man robbing a gas station at gunpoint early Monday morning.
  • PHOTOS: August 2014 Mugshots

    PHOTOS: August 2014 Mugshots

    Friday, August 15 2014 3:29 PM EDT2014-08-15 19:29:55 GMT
    Mugshots from across central Alabama from August 2014.
    Mugshots from across central Alabama from August 2014.
Watch Live Watch Live Religious services
Powered by WorldNow

1350 13th Avenue
Columbus, GA 31901

Telephone: 706.323.3333
Fax: 706.327.6655
Email: news@wrbl.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.