Durham firemen give tips on how to prevent kitchen fires - WRBL

Durham firemen give tips on how to prevent kitchen fires

Posted: Updated:
DURHAM, N.C. -

The Durham Fire Department was dispatched to a structure fire at 228 East End Avenue Wednesday, a fire ignited in the kitchen.

The occupant called 911 to report the fire. On arrival firefighters reported light smoke from the front door of a one story residential structure. A small fire in the kitchen was quickly extinguished, authorities said.

The fire began when cooking oil ignited on the stove top and then extended to the cabinets over the stove. The fire caused  minimal structural damage to the house. There was some smoke damage to other areas of the home. There were no injuries.

Nineteen firefighters responded to the call. Several companies were on scene for about 40 minutes.

Cooking fires are the No. 1 cause of fires in Durham, authorities said, and they are almost always preventable.

Durham authorities shared the following tips on how to prevent fires:

  • Never leave food that is cooking on the stove alone. A serious fire can start in just seconds.
  • Keep towels, pot holders, and curtains away from flames, ovens, and stove tops.
  • Always wear short or tight-fitting sleeves when cooking, because the sleeves may catch on fire and burn you.
  • If you are cooking and a fire starts, turn off the stove or burner and put a lid on the pan to stop it.
  • Never throw water on a grease fire

Copyright 2014 WNCN. All rights reserved.


Powered by WorldNow

1350 13th Avenue
Columbus, GA 31901

Telephone: 706.323.3333
Fax: 706.327.6655
Email: news@wrbl.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.