DURHAM: Judge intends to free man in murder misconduct case - WRBL

Judge intends to free man in Durham murder misconduct case

Posted: Updated:
DURHAM, N.C. -

A North Carolina judge said Friday he is considering bail for a man who has spent nearly 20 years in prison for a double-murder conviction and is getting a new trial because the judge earlier ruled authorities withheld evidence that could have exonerated him.

Superior Court Judge Orlando Hudson ruled in May that Darryl Howard, 52, must be retried after evidence surfaced showing possible misconduct by former Durham prosecutor Mike Nifong, who was disbarred after the Duke lacrosse case, and a city police detective. Hudson said he intends to free Howard on unsecured bond with electronic monitoring unless he's blocked by a prosecution appeal to a state appeals court.

An appeals court decision could come within days, said Jim Cooney, a Charlotte attorney working to free Howard.

Howard was sentenced to 80 years in prison for strangling 29-year-old Doris Washington and her daughter, 13-year-old Nishonda, then burning their apartment. Both were sexually assaulted.

Hudson said he remembered observing the Howard murder trial in 1995 supervised by a fellow judge and wondering about odd details in the case.

"I was here then," Hudson said. "It was a horrendous prosecution. You know who prosecuted the case. I know who prosecuted the case. There was extremely credible, strong evidence that Mr. Howard did not commit" the crime.

State investigators determined Nifong lied and withheld evidence proving the innocence of Duke University lacrosse players, who were charged with raping a stripper during a 2006 team party.

Nifong, an assistant district attorney in 1995, failed to share with Howard's defense attorneys a police memo and other evidence that pointed to other suspects, Hudson ruled in May.

DNA tests on semen collected from the girl's body excluded Howard two decades ago. A Durham police detective testified at his trial that investigators never considered that the sexual assaults were linked to the killers. Nifong repeated that claim despite a police memo in the prosecution's files that contradicted him.

Police also heard from a tipster a few days after the bodies were found that a drug gang killed Washington and her daughter inside their public housing apartment because of a drug debt. The tipster knew that the killers raped the mother and daughter, something police had not made public.

New DNA tests paid for by the New York-based Innocence Project pointed to another man with a history of violent felonies, said Barry Scheck, co-director of the group that has exonerated more than 300 wrongfully convicted people nationwide.

"They are saints among us," Howard's wife of 15 years, Nannie, said after the hearing. "It's difficult, when you are a person who has a (criminal) history, to prove your innocence. Because if you were to poll anyone who's ever been in prison, the first thing they say is, 'well I'm innocent.' And everyone just laughs and assumes that yeah, you're guilty, maybe not for this but for something else."

Scheck and Darryl Hunt, who was freed in 2004 and pardoned after DNA evidence and another man's confession proved he didn't commit a Winston-Salem murder 20 years earlier, called on Durham prosecutors to review convictions involving Nifong and other prosecutors.

More than a dozen prosecutors' offices from New York City to Texas and California have created similar panels after finding that innocent people were wrongfully convicted. The groups have agreed to revisit more than 4,900 cases, resulting in at least 61 convictions tossed so far, The Associated Press reported last month.

Such a review team should "find out how many other innocent men and women is still in prison due to the unprofessional and criminal acts that the DA's office has done to Howard and so many others," Hunt said. "Durham really has an opportunity to really change the face of justice and make it right."

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Update: Columbus man runs himself over with car on 1st Avenue, police say

    Update: Columbus man runs himself over with car on 1st Avenue, police say

    Sunday, August 31 2014 7:13 PM EDT2014-08-31 23:13:37 GMT
    Authorities were seen looking around a Black Oldsmobile in the backyard of a nearby home. Witnesses say the car struck and killed Williams.Authorities were seen looking around a Black Oldsmobile in the backyard of a nearby home. Witnesses say the car struck and killed Williams.
    Anthony Williams, 29, was run over and killed by a car near Chase Homes on 1st Avenue late Saturday night, according to Muscogee County Coroner Buddy Bryan.
    Anthony Williams, 29, was run over and killed by a car near Chase Homes on 1st Avenue late Saturday night, according to Muscogee County Coroner Buddy Bryan.
  • Woman robbed of $700 at knifepoint in Columbus bank parking lot, report says

    Woman robbed of $700 at knifepoint in Columbus bank parking lot, report says

    Saturday, August 30 2014 11:11 PM EDT2014-08-31 03:11:34 GMT
    Two men held a 50-year-old woman at knife point and took hundreds of dollars from her in a bank parking lot Friday, according to a police report.The woman told police the attack happened after she withdrew $700 from the Wells Fargo ATM on 13th Street. She says it happened around 5:30 in the afternoon.“That is very surprising, especially in broad daylight. It's just getting outrageous these days,” said Roy Robertson, who was withdrawing money from the ATM on Saturday.The woman told News 3 she ...
    Two men held a 50-year-old woman at knife point and took hundreds of dollars from her in a bank parking lot Friday, according to a police report.The woman told police the attack happened after she withdrew $700 from the Wells Fargo ATM on 13th Street. She says it happened around 5:30 in the afternoon.“That is very surprising, especially in broad daylight. It's just getting outrageous these days,” said Roy Robertson, who was withdrawing money from the ATM on Saturday.The woman told News 3 she ...
  • Columbus gets new Walmarts...with a twist

    Columbus gets new Walmarts...with a twist

    Aug 25, 2014 07:03 PM2014-08-28 22:27:56 GMT
    Three new Walmart's are coming to town, and two of them are not your average Supercenter.Construction is about to be underway at the new Walmart Supercenter on Victory Drive at the site of the old Baker High School. Two new proposals, however, will bring the Walmart Neighborhood Market to Columbus.The Market is like a grocery store, without the clothes, hardware, etc. typical to most Walmart's.See the proposals at www.columbusga.org/planning. You can voice your opinion about the new stores be...
    Three new Walmart's are coming to town, and two of them are not your average Supercenter.Construction is about to be underway at the new Walmart Supercenter on Victory Drive at the site of the old Baker High School. Two new proposals, however, will bring the Walmart Neighborhood Market to Columbus.The Market is like a grocery store, without the clothes, hardware, etc. typical to most Walmart's.See the proposals at www.columbusga.org/planning. You can voice your opinion about the new stores be...
Powered by WorldNow

1350 13th Avenue
Columbus, GA 31901

Telephone: 706.323.3333
Fax: 706.327.6655
Email: news@wrbl.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.