SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) — T.J. Gibbs scored 22 points in what could have been his final home game as Notre Dame closed out the regular season with a 64-56 victory over Virginia Tech.
Gibbs, one of three departing players who were saluted before the Purcell Pavilion fans, hit 7 of 12 shots, including 5 of 8 from 3-point range.
Reserve Dane Goodwin added 13 points and nine rebounds for coach Mike Brey’s Fighting Irish who got 12 rebounds from double-double machine John Mooney but just seven points.
The 6-foot-9 senior forward had entered the game leading the nation in double-doubles with 25.
Grad student Rex Pflueger had seven points.
- Melania Trump’s error puts Oregon Christmas tree farm in spotlight
- Sheriff: Florida rapper made music, then killed 2 men in recording studio
- Hampton Roads native looking toward Tokyo Olympics; focusing on mental game during pandemic
- COVID-19 vaccine priority, who will get it?
- On WRBL News 3 Nightwatch: Handling crime scenes in the pandemic, A new mural downtown, and GHSA playoffs schedule changes