Go to the WRBL News 3 Facebook page, answer the Question of the Day and your response could be featured on News 3 Midday!
11 people injured when Scotland roller coaster derails
Scotland police say nine children and two adults were injured when a roller coaster derailed and crashed at a theme park Sunday. M&D’s theme park in North Lanarkshire was evacuated and closed as police investigated the crash.
One adult and one child are in a stable condition and three children were sent home Sunday night. Police have not released details on the extent of the injuries.
Chief Inspector David Bruce of Police Scotland says: “On arrival it became clear a series of five gondolas connected on a train on the Tsunami ride have detached from the rails, struck the superstructure and then struck the ground.
“They [the gondolas] fell less than 20 feet. It would appear that they have been coming round a bend and at that point it has detached.
“It’s an inverted roller coaster which means that the riders hang in gondolas below the rails rather than sit above them.
Police say the Tsunami ride can travel up to 40mph through corkscrew turns and loops.
Lionel Messi retires from international soccer
Lionel Messi announces his retirement from international soccer after missing in a penalty shootout during Argentina’s Copa America final game versus Chile. Messi broke down in tears Sunday night as Argentina lost a fourth major final in nine years.
“It’s not meant for me. For me the national team is over. I’ve done all I can, it hurts not to be a champion,” the 29-year-old said after defeat by Chile. “It’s been four finals, I tried. It was the thing I wanted the most, but I couldn’t get it, so I think it’s over.”
The Barcelona forward holds the record for most goals scored for Argentina and was named Best Player during the 2014 World Cup. He has scored 453 times in 531 games for his home team, Barcelona, including a La Liga record 312 goals. He has won the Ballon d’Or award for the world’s best player five times.
Messi has made 113 appearances for Argentina.
NASA extends Hubble Space Telescope operation 5 years
U.S. space agency NASA says it plans to extend operations of the famous Hubble Space Telescope for another five years, through to June 2021. The last in-flight servicing took place in 2009, and experts say considering it was only expected to operate five more years after that, it’s amazing that it’s still going strong seven years later.
Hubble was launched in 1990 and is the most advanced telescope ever. NASA engineers say it has examined the most distant galaxies, allowing scientists to gain a better understanding of the origins of the universe.
The orbital observatory allows scientists to view space away from the interference of Earth’s atmosphere.
NASA has not confirmed if Hubble will remain active after 2021. NASA has previously said the agency plans to replace Hubble with the James Webb Space Telescope, which will be launched into space in 2018 as the premier observatory of the next decade.