The Latest: Man responsible for Nice terror attack identified

National
nice_truck_124421

UPDATE:

11:10 a.m. EST — A Paris prosecutor confirms to reporters 202 people were wounded in the Bastille Day truck attack in Nice, France. They also say 25 of the injured are on life support and 52 are in critical condition.

9:43 a.m. EST — The man responsible for killing dozens of people in the Nice truck attack has been identified as 31-year-old Mohamad Lahouaiej Bouhel, according to a senior French anti-terrorism official.

Several neighbors at the address listed for Bouhel say police officers raided the 12th floor apartment earlier Friday — but that the man had not lived there in three years. The apartment was occupied by the man’s estranged wife, who was led away by authorities, three of the neighbors say.

The apartment showed visible signs of having been forced in, including a hole where the lock had been.

Four young men inside the apartment say they were family of the wife, who they say was divorcing her husband.

9:15 a.m. EST — French President Francois Hollande confirms there are still 50 people in the hospital “between life and death” after a man drove a truck into a crowd of people celebrating Bastille Day in the Riviera city of Nice.

8:26 a.m. EST — French reporters say passengers are being evacuated from the Nice airport. Authorities have not confirmed a reason for the evacuation.

They say some people are being allowed to return only in order pick up their luggage.

6:16 a.m. EST — French police say they have found the attacker’s ID inside the truck that he drove into a crowd of people in Nice. They say he was a 31-year-old of French and Tunisian descent who was known for being a petty criminal.

Investigators are working on a DNA identification.


(ORIGINAL STORY)

NICE, France — France declares Friday the nation will observe three days of mourning after a terror attack that killed at least 84 people.

French President Francois Hollande says Thursday night an armed gunman fired into a crowd of people celebrating Bastille Day in the Riviera city of Nice before driving a large truck two kilometers (1.24 miles) through the crowd.

“We cannot deny that it was a terror attack,” Hollande says. He adds for the attack to happen on Bastille Day, when France celebrates its post-French Revolution republic, has particular significance.

He says the day is a “symbol of liberty,” and that “human rights are denied by fanatics and France is quite clearly their target.” European Union President Donald Tusk echoes Hollande’s feelings on Twitter:

Nice Regional President says investigations are now being focused on discovering if the attacker had any accomplices.

“Attacks aren’t prepared alone. Attacks are prepared with accomplices,” Estrosi says. “There is a chain of complicity. I expect it to be unveiled, discovered and kept up to date.”

No far no organization has claimed responsibility for the attack.

The city of Paris said it was “wholeheartedly” with Nice:

A Twitter account headed “Nice Alerts” is circulating pictures posted by family members trying to identify if their loved ones survived the attack:

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Recent Updates

Trending Stories

Don't Miss