BESSEMER, Ala. (WIAT) — Family, friends and many people from the community will come together to remember the life of 8-year-old Royta Giles Jr.
Royta was a student at Jonesboro Elementary School, who the assistant principal says was a “bright, charismatic second-grader who had the ‘it’ factor and wanted to grow up and someday be a musician.”
There is now a makeshift memorial at the Riverchase Galleria in front of the Children’s Place where there are even musical notes on display in honor of him.
Authorities say that three men have been arrested in connection to the tragic incident where Royta lost his life and three others were injured.
The vigil is taking place at the Bessemer Recreation Center.
- LaGrange woman hospitalized after being beaten and set on fire, ex-boyfriend arrested and charged in attack
- There are many ways to beat this heat during the dog days of summer
- 101 Tijuana churches to reopen Aug. 15 with COVID-19 safety measures in place, bishop says
- Who will Biden pick? Democratic lawmakers weigh in on possible VP picks
- Doctors Without Borders: Fewer migrants heading north seeking asylum