RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — The family of former U.S. Sen. Kay Hagan say she has died. Hagan was 66.
The family issued a statement Monday said Hagan died unexpectedly Monday morning.
Hagan was a North Carolina Democrat who was elected in elected in 2008 and served one term before she was defeated by Republican Thom Tillis in 2014.
During her time on Capitol Hill, she was a champion of the Affordable Care Act as well as efforts to release documents pertaining to water contamination at Camp Lejeune.
- 4 charged in death of man found burning in Iowa ditch
- Pelosi announces bipartisan deal to avoid shutdown
- President Donald Trump to visit Georgia Friday
- President Trump sets date to announce SCOTUS pick as GOP locks in votes needed to confirm nominee
- Birmingham mother accused of burning dead infant’s body in a diaper bag, leaving it in an alley