EL PASO, Texas (KTSM) – The Mayfield High wrestler who was hailed as a hero for preventing a toddler’s kidnapping in 2020, was killed Wednesday night in a motorcycle wreck in Las Cruces.
According to the Las Cruces Police Department, 18-year-old Canaan Bower was killed after his motorcycle struck a car.
Bower was honored in 2020 for his quick thinking and action in stopping an assault and kidnapping attempt of a 2-year-old
Following the incident, Bower’s story went viral, and was featured on USA Wrestling and tweeted by President of UFC Dana White, UFC fighter Jorge Masvidal and Mario Lopez.
At the time, Bower’s father shared video of the incident.
Shortly after his heroics, Bower was honored by the Doña Ana Board of Commissioners and celebrated “April 14, 2020 ‘Canaan Bower Day of Valor.”
Officials with LCPD’s Traffic Section responded to the accident, and say the crash is still under investigation.
- LaGrange police investigate weekend shooting on Handley Street
- Columbus man appears in Recorder’s Court following alleged January murder
- Fact check: Is chicken feed to blame for the egg shortage?
- FAA investigating after planes nearly collide in close-call landing at Austin airport
- Most in new poll say Biden hasn’t achieved much in first two years
- What to know about education savings accounts, the school choice measure making waves in states