OXFORD, Ala. (WIAT) — An Oxford police officer was involved in a shooting after pursuing a stolen vehicle Monday afternoon.
According to Oxford PD Chief Bill Partridge, officers pursued a stolen SUV out of Florida at 2 p.m. The vehicle stopped on Richeytown Road where the suspect, 28-year-old Terrell Lawler Jr., exited the vehicle.
During a standoff with police, Lawler refused to drop an item he was holding. Chief Partridge did not specify what the item was but said that officers believed it to be a weapon. Officers fired and Lawler was hit one time. He was transported to UAB Hospital and is now in stable condition.
The Talladega County District Attorney’s Office is now handling the investigation into the officer-involved shooting.
Stay with CBS 42 as this is an ongoing story.
- CSU lights Christmas tree to kick off 2020 WinterFest
- Local business opens Christmas tree farm early for the holidays
- Hundreds of maquiladora workers pour into Tijuana hospitals with virus symptoms
- FDA reviews two COVID-19 vaccines while CDC determines vaccine priority
- WHO tells Mexico to ‘get serious’ about COVID-19