Construction worker dies after falling through floor at old Lanett Mill; investigation underway

Local News


02/16/17 6:50 p.m. — Officials have released the name of the victim who fell to his death Tuesday.

Lanett police say the construction worker was 50-year-old Cirilo Banuelos Reyes, a hispanic male from Alexander City.


LANETT, Ala. — A construction worker dies after a portion of the floor gave way and fell to the ground at the old Lanett Mill

Late Tuesday morning, Lanett EMS, Lanett Police and the Chambers County Sheriff’s Office responded to the demolition site of the old Lanett Mill on South Gilmer Avenue, according to police.

Upon arrival, emergency personnel learned that a man had been working on the fourth floor of a building on the site. The worker was removing wood floor boards, and according to Lanett police, a section of the flooring gave way and the worker fell. EMS gave the construction worker aid and transported him to Lanier Health Services in Valley. Shortly thereafter the worker died at the hospital from his injuries.

“He was a great worker,” Owner of Regeneration LLC Roy Granger said. “Actually, he had worked for me for 12 years. An excellent person and no problems; no alcohol or no drugs. He was an excellent, good-nature person.It was a very sad, sad situation and accident.”

The Lanett Police contacted OSHA on Monday as well.

“We document the scene,” Major Johnny Wood of the Lanett Police Department said. “We take photographs, witness statements from all the people on the scene including the foreman. We make contact with the general contractor and who’s in charge to let them know what we have going. We contact OSHA who comes in, and they do an independent investigation based on the materials we can provide them as well.”

Granger’s company, Regeneration LLC purchased the mill back in 2008, and then the old dye works building of the mill back in 2013. They are trying to reclaim 80 to 85% of the materials from the building such as wood, bricks, etc. He said that their goal is to have the site cleaned up in four to six months or less, then put the land on the market for sale.

“We’ve always tried to comply with state and federal laws,” Granger said. “This was just a freak accident that happened here. We’ve got the proper guidelines, so we’ll probably go back to work real soon.”

Lanett Police said that this is the first significant event that has taken place during the reclamation and demolition process of the mill since it began.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Recent Updates

More 7 Day Forecast

More Political Stories

More Politics

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

Trending Stories