NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) — The Department of Defense says a soldier from Robertson County was killed Monday in Afghanistan while supporting Operation Freedom’s Sentinel.
Sgt. 1st Class Jeremy W. Griffin, 40, from Greenbrier, Tennessee, was killed in action Sept. 16, 2019, by small arms fire when his unit was engaged in combat operations in Wardak Province, Afghanistan. The incident is under investigation.
Griffin was assigned to 3rd Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington.
He was posthumously awarded the Bronze Star Medal and Purple Heart.
- Stanley helps Duke blow past Virginia Tech 88-64
- Sanders wins Nevada caucuses, takes national Democratic lead
- Syracuse rallies to earn 79-72 win over Georgia Tech
- Dawes’ career-best 22 leads Clemson past Boston College 82-64
- “We have to start somewhere”: Moms Against Gun Violence march to combat crime