Orlando man suspected of making school threats arrested

National
police_tape_125396

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — A man who police say is suspected of posting a series of message on Twitter threatening to shoot students and put pipe bombs inside some Florida schools has been arrested.

Orange County Sheriff’s spokesman Jeff Williamson says in an email sent late Sunday that 23-year-old Jesus Kong was taken into custody on a warrant while trying to cross the border into Canada. Williamson says Kong “appeared to be in some form of distress.” The warrant wasn’t out of Florida.

Last week, officials said the threats posted July 24 targeted four high schools and a middle school in the Orlando area. Orange County school officials and law enforcement authorities said they didn’t believe the threats were credible.

Williamson says Kong is a transient.

No further details were immediately available.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Recent Updates

More 7 Day Forecast

More Political Stories

More Politics

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

Trending Stories