Woman shot, son injured in hours-long police standoff


RANDALLSTOWN, Md. (WJZ) — After an armed woman was killed by police in a shootout that also left her 5-year-old son injured in Randallstown on Monday, the Baltimore County Police Department continues an investigation into the incident.

Police say they responded to a home in the unit block of Sulky Court on Monday around 9:20 a.m. to serve arrest warrants for 23-year-old Korryn Shandawn Gaines and her boyfriend 39-year-old Kareem Kiean Courtney.

The arrest warrant for Gaines stemmed from a traffic stop that occurred back in March when she was charged with resisting arrest and disorderly conduct. Police were also serving an arrest warrant for Courtney on second degree assault charges.

Upon arrival to the home, police say three officers knocked on the door of the residence but no one answered. Minutes later, after overhearing the voices of a man and woman and a child’s cries coming from inside, officers opened the door using a key obtained from the landlord.

During a new conference Tuesday, Baltimore County Police Chief James Johnson says officers could see a woman sitting on the floor believed to be Gaines along with a child nearby. Johnson says Gaines immediately began wielding a 12-gauge shotgun around, bringing it into the ready position and directing at the officers.

Three officers then retreated to the hallway outside and called for backup, according to police.

Johnson says tactical teams surrounded the home and negotiations began with Gaines around 9:40 a.m.

Minutes later, 39-year-old Kareem Courtney ran out of the home with a 1-year-old boy and was immediately apprehended. He was arrested on a warrant for second degree assault and was later released.

“There were times that we thought this would come to a peaceful resolution, there were other times she was highly agitated,” says Johnson. “The entire time throughout the afternoon she would repeatedly point the weapon at our personnel.”

During the 7-hour stand-off, police say Gaines used social media to broadcast the ongoing situation.

Police, who eventually were able to deactivate her accounts by contacting Facebook, say social media followers were encouraging Gaines not to comply with requests that she surrender peacefully.

“We did reach out to social media authorities to deactivate her account to take it offline in order to preserve the integrity of the negotiation process with her and the safety of our personal her child.”

Police say Gaines’ social media content has not been deleted, adding that they don’t have the authority to do such a thing.

Gaines’s cousin, Creo Brady tells News 3’s sister station WJZ he wishes his family could have played a bigger role in preventing Monday’s tragedy.

“We were all there,” he says. “Any one of us could have went int here, talked her down, got that gun from her and she would still be here with us.”

As hours went by police continued their negotiations with Gaines.

“Negotiators conversed with Gaines by phone and face to face (mostly by shouting across the room). They encouraged her to stay on the phone throughout the event,” according to a news release.

At approximately 4 p.m., officers again attempted to negotiate with Gaines — who was still with her 5-year-old son — into surrendering, but police say she refused and pointed the gun at officers multiple times, even threatening to kill them saying, “”If you don’t leave, I’m going to kill you.”

Johnson says it was at this point that a tactical officer discharged one round toward Gaines, but police do not know if she was hit.

Gaines then returned fire, but no officers were hit.

Officers then fired back resulting in her death.

“Our officer returned three rounds of fire, striking her and killing her,” says Johnson.

When officers went to render aid to Gaines, they noticed that the 5-year-old boy was also struck.

“We do not know at this moment in time if the child was struck by our round, her round, or shrapnel from our round, shrapnel from her round, we do not know at this moment in time,” says Johnson.

Police say no officers involved in direct contact with Gaines were wearing body cameras at the time of the incident.

The county’s body camera program — which eventually will equip more than 1,400 officers with cameras — was launched only about a month ago.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Recent Updates

More 7 Day Forecast

More Political Stories

More Politics

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

Trending Stories