Our Kitchen welcomed guest Ian Harkness of the Youth Orchestra of Greater Columbus. YOGC was created to provide an outstanding orchestra program for the area’s most talented young musicians. Celebrating their 30th anniversary this year, they have achieved that goal. YOGC will be performing many concerts (the next is November 14th) to celebrate reaching the 30 year milestone. Visit their website for more performance dates.
Thanks to Ian for stopping by, Billy’s Supermarket for our fresh ingredients, and Daniel Appliance for our beautiful kitchen.
- One 9 inch pie crust (can be homemade, can be store bought)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon coffee extract, coffee-flavored-liqueur, or black coffee, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (1/2 pint) heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine granulated sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt.
- Gradually blend in milk and cook over medium-high heat for 6 to 8 minutes, until mixture comes to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur, butter, and vanilla until well blended.
- Pour into pie crust and chill for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, with an electric beater on medium speed, combine heavy cream and confectioners’ sugar and beat 3 to 4 minutes, until soft peaks form.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon coffee liqueur and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread over pie, cover loosely, and chill 5 hours before serving.