From whipped dalgona coffee to a freddo cappuccino, TikTok is no stranger to coffee trends. The latest of these is the sparkling Americano, which is a refreshing alternative to hot Americanos.
If this new style of coffee is on your radar, you might be wondering what you need to make it. Luckily, it only requires a couple of ingredients and a small amount of equipment.
What is a sparkling Americano?
A regular Americano is espresso mixed with hot water, while a sparkling Americano mixes espresso with sparkling water. This creates a refreshing, carbonated type of iced coffee that’s perfect for hot days.
What do you need to make a sparkling Americano?
You’ll need a few ingredients and bits of equipment to make this drink. You may already have some of these, but if not, you’ll need to buy them.
- Espresso maker: You need espresso to make this type of coffee, so an espresso maker is essential.
- Ice: Whether you have an ice maker, an ice cube tray or you just buy ice, it’s needed for this coffee recipe.
- Sparkling water: You can buy a bottle of sparkling water or club soda, but if you use sparkling water regularly, it may be worth investing in a soda maker.
- Coffee: A quality shot of espresso is what makes this drink special, so buy whole beans or ground coffee that you love the taste of.
- Extras to add flavor: Any extras you use are optional, but many recipes call for an orange slice, while other variations include vanilla, yuzu and lemon-lavender.
How to make a sparkling Americano
You can make a sparkling Americano in four simple steps, which makes it an obvious choice to whip up on a hot day.
- Grab an average-sized drinking glass, add an orange slice (if using) to the bottom and fill it with ice.
- Fill the glass to around three-quarters full with sparkling water or club soda.
- Grind your beans, if using whole beans, and pull an espresso shot using your espresso machine. If you don’t have one, you can make strong coffee using a moka pot, but your resulting Americano will be weaker than one made using true espresso.
- Pour 2 ounces of espresso into the glass, and stir gently to mix it with the sparkling water. It’s now ready to drink.
Best items for making a sparkling Americano
This is a solid, entry-level espresso machine, though serious coffee aficionados will want an upgrade eventually. Sold by Amazon
Not only is this single-origin coffee organic and fairly traded, but it also has a fruity, balanced and low-acidity flavor that works beautifully in sparkling Americanos. Sold by Amazon
If you discover you love sparkling coffee or you drink a lot of sparkling water anyway, you’ll save money in the long run by buying a Soda Stream. Sold by Amazon
Lauren Corona writes for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their purchasing decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2022 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.