AUBURN, Ala. (WRBL) – An Auburn University student is reporting an acquaintance rape on campus, prompting an investigation and the following campus notice from Auburn University:
Auburn University Community,
A female student reported today (Wednesday) that she was raped (as defined by the federal Clery Act) and physically assaulted a week ago in an on-campus residential facility by an acquaintance.
Statistics about sexual assault indicate that nearly 90% of all completed or attempted rapes on college campuses are committed by acquaintances. Please remember that:
- Rape is against the law and is a felony.
- It is important for everyone involved in a sexual act to give consent to all aspects of the act. Consent means a clear and sober “yes,” given freely and applies to all aspects of the act. Consent granted for one act does not mean consent for another.
- Rape is not a crime of sexual desire. It is a crime of hostility and violence toward the victim. People often engage in victim blaming as a way to preserve the false belief that they will be safe from sexual assault “if only” they do not do what the victim did. However, rape is never the victim’s fault. Only the perpetrator chooses to commit sexual assault.
- It is a myth that it can’t happen to you. Sexual assault can happen to anyone, regardless of age, race, class, religion, occupation, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, educational background, or physical description.
If you are a victim/survivor of sexual assault next steps are your choice. You are encouraged to:
- Preserve evidence. Do not shower or change your clothing.
- Dial 911 for emergency assistance or immediately go to the nearest hospital (in the Auburn area, East Alabama Medical Center Freestanding Emergency Department located at 900 Camp Auburn Road, Auburn, AL 36832) to get medical care and request a Sexual Assault Forensic Exam (“rape kit”).
- Consider reporting it. Notification options include:
- Dial 911 (emergencies) or 334-501-3100 to reach the Auburn Police Division. The police are the only entity that can investigate a sexual assault for the means of criminal prosecution. It is important for them to gather evidence as soon as possible.
- Dial 334-844-4794 to report the incident to the Auburn University Title IX Coordinator. The Title IX Office receives official complaints of violations of the university’s Title IX Sexual Harassment Policy.
- All survivors are encouraged to report the assault, but it is always the survivor’s choice whether or not to do so.
Sexual Assault Survivor Advocates On and Off Campus (24 hours a day)
- Safe Harbor (on campus) – 334-844-7233 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rape Counselors of East Alabama (community) – 334-705-0510
Resources for Survivors: www.auburn.edu/titleix
This notice addresses a report of sexual assault. Resources are available on and off campus to provide assistance. Contact Safe Harbor at 334-844-7233 or Rape Counselors of East Alabama at 334-705-0510.